HT5 or THR10?

What's Hot
TPReggieTPReggie Frets: 22
Hey all - I know there are a few "whats the best amp" threads but figured I would ask owners for their thoughts on these 2 in particular. I do not have a lot of experience with Valve amps as I have been using POD's for noodling since I used to tour with my JCM900 head and 1960 cab back in the day. That is great, but I tend not to play as much when it takes me 20 minutes to get everything out, plug it in and everything as I don't have a dedicated music room.

I wanted to look at something valvey that can be used for practice and recording - that you can plug something into (mp3 player for example) but sounds good at home levels, that I can leave somewhere and just need a guitar and cable to get going - so 5 minutes vs 15. 

I tend to play a range of tones but nothing hugely high gain - think Satriani to SRV, GNR at maximum gain. I am trying to organise a trip to a shop to play around with these next week Thursday - but thought I would get impressions as well off those who own them too :)

Thanks for the tips guys. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• THR10...since getting mine I play so much more. It's in the living room (my wife doesn't mine it, but I had to go for the regular 10 not the 10C to keep her happy as she prefered the colour, so do I actually).

Sounds fantastic, the FX are pretty decent and for running an iPod (or similar) into it for learning/practice it's brilliant.

Great with headphones as well, but I use mine at 'TV' volumes most of the time, which it's perfect for.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    edited November 2013
    I have an HT5 and a THR10. I haven't used the HT5 for a while. I use the THR10 everyday. I'd try them both and see what you think. For quickmess the THR10 is a no brainer. Switch on, plug in and play. The THR10 doesn't take up much room and can double as an MP3 player sound system. The HT5 takes pedals better and is a real valve amp.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Sorry to jump onto this one, but whats the quality like on the THR? I'm looking at getting a monitor for Xmas for my ipod and tv etc, somebody suggested one of those as a wildcard but i guess they wouldn't be as good as a dedicated monitor speaker for that

Back to the OP, i had a ht5 till recently, while it was decent and the clean channel took pedals...well...cleanly, i didn't find the actual drive channel offered much variety. But the sound it did make was very good, i suspect my opinion was ultimately based on me wanting something else haha. Quite big though, which may be a factor depending on your living arrangements.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Lexie1Lexie1 Frets: 135
    PM'd you Mr Colourbox
  • I'd be interested in more views on the THR models too.

Having had a couple of HT-5s and HT-5R models i really like them though the overdrive still sounds like a pedal to me. Sits well in a recording mix but outside that i think there are better amps out there.
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    edited November 2013
    Sorry to jump onto this one, but whats the quality like on the THR? I'm looking at getting a monitor for Xmas for my ipod and tv etc, somebody suggested one of those as a wildcard but i guess they wouldn't be as good as a dedicated monitor speaker for that.
      Being full-range they make excellent boom-boxes, but whether they'd be good enough for your intended usage only you can decide. :)
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    As an alternative suggestion - nowt to do with me, but in the G&B classifieds there's an ht1hr & b* 12" cab with a celestion for £150, which seems like a reasonable deal for a home amp.
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

• Thanks for the comments so far guys, the drive comments are particularly interesting as a couple of you have said the same thing.  I suppose the main thing the HT5 has over the THR is that you could use it to drive a cab or something if you did end up wanting to use it for small gigs whereas the Yamaha is specifically for practice and could not be used to plug through something for gigging purposes from what i see.

The HTR1 is interesting, but I would be surprised if you could get much as far as clean sounds out of it. Although not having played one I can't judge 
    :\">
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 562
    edited November 2013
    I bought my thr for travelling, I chose the thr5 because it is so small and incorporates a bundle of very reasonable effects. I have fender modelling and tube amps which I use but every time I use the thr I wonder why I bothered with the others! Ok so I don't gig, but for that impromptu home jam or practice session I think the thr is very neat. It will be interesting to see what they do with it next. I have already passed a few suggestions back including: wireless coms to their edit software on iPad, integrated rechargeable batteries and charger, mic simulated line out to mixing desk. I recon as a premium practice amp it could stand the cost of these upgrades and sell

• TPReggie said:
    I suppose the main thing the HT5 has over the THR is that you could use it to drive a cab or something if you did end up wanting to use it for small gigs whereas the Yamaha is specifically for practice and could not be used to plug through something for gigging purposes from what i see. 
    I've plugged the THR10 into a PA on a couple of occasions, using its headphones output.
    Very good result but you do need some kind of monitoring as its internal speakers are muted when using headphones. :)
  • I love my thr-10. Brilliant device that women actually like too as it looks retro and nice in the living room. Plus it's about a quarter the size of a normal practice amp and benefits from the option of batteries if need be and doubles as a stereo ipod speaker. Can't recommend it highly enough. Thanks ddlooping for introducing me to it at the anglia meet.
  • Hi Reggie, my son has the HT5R mini stack and it sounds Immense even at low volume, nice cleans but effortless crunch and gain
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27858
    edited November 2013
    Thanks ddlooping for introducing me to it at the anglia meet.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Roaster said:
    Hi Reggie, my son has the HT5R mini stack and it sounds Immense even at low volume, nice cleans but effortless crunch and gain
    Really? Hmm that is interesting - I have some cash available now so mmust get into a shop and try them both out and see how I feel, there is quite a wide range of choices at the moment - life would be much simpler if there wasn't so much to choose from  @-)
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 618
    Don't forget there is a s/h white THR10 at Coda for £179...you don't see many of these up for grabs at the mo

Cheers
    Baz
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13577
    if its an early model,  just make sure its had the PSU replaced
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • What's the deal with the PSU? Thanks
    Link to my trading feedback
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13577
    early models were released with uber noisy PSU's and Yamaha  did a 'free' replacement job on them.
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.