Anyone been to Nashville?

What's Hot
Going on Nov 16 with a mate for six days. Would welcome suggestions on places to go, places to eat/stay or to gawp at guitars/bands. Budget fairly healthy

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MrsTheweary has but over 20 years ago so probably not much help, although I think the Grand Ol Opry is still going.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    edited November 2013

I was there briefly last year. It was awesome. As with all US cities it kinda requires a car to do it properly but unlike other US cities it actually has a city centre worth visiting. There is a strip of bars that is pretty unique (here: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en-GB&ll=36.160611,-86.778138&spn=0.000004,0.001982&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=36.160611,-86.778138&panoid=ncKTUHBwjUd3AD0R05K2RQ&cbp=12,333.62,,1,2.07). Live (country) music in dozens of bars all afternoon/evening/night. I thoroughly recommend Tootsie's. A small venue but heaving. The whole staff/band ensemble was the slickest I've ever seen.

The museum of Tennessee was moderately diverting and had a zowie Gibbo made from president Andy Jackson's tree.

Food-wise...it's America. It's all shitloads of awesome junk. You'll find somewhere.

I stayed at a cheapass motel. "White Knight" or something. Just t'other side of the river from the action. Walkable but taxis are cheap. Wouldn't really recommend it but we were on a budget.

I did Washington, St Louis, Knoxville, Kansas City, Durham, Richmond all in one trip and Nashville stood out as the highlight.

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1630
    ^. Thanks - really useful that. Will book somewhere as close to downtown as possible. Cheers

• Get down to Roberts, and watch the Don Kelly band. awesome.
  • MrsTheweary also went to Dollywood.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    1. Visit all the bars and marvel at the standard of musicianship on show. It kinda helps if you like Country Music.
    2. George Gruhns (obviously). How you convince them that you in the market for a 'Burst (I think they have a couple  at the moment) is up to you.
    3. Ernest Tubbs Record Shop on Broadway.
    4. Jack Daniels Distillery tour. This is a day trip from Nashville. Maybe 1.5 hours on a coach. The aroma as the tour guide lifts the tarp at one corner of a huge vat, and invites you to pop your head under, is unforgettable. No samples because Moore is a dry county.
    5. Have a look around the Ryman Auditorium c.1892 (original home of the Grand Ole Opry) . Get up on the stage if you want. They even provide a cheap guitar for photos.
    6. RCA Studio B Tour.

• One thing you notice about Nashville is how nice everyone is, we walked out of Roberts about midnight, and people walking past saying hello. Low police presence compared to Memphis. Station inn, is supposed to be great, but i run out of time, the Timejumpers play there and Vince Gill often sits in with them.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1630
    Thanks, all useful steers 

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371

JohnPerry said:
    Thanks, all useful steers 
    I nearly forgot the Steers!

http://tnhomeandfarm.com/milking-devon-steers

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom