Richard Thompson

What's Hot
TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7826
edited October 2015 in Music
So excited, been waiting since 1996 to see him play, tonight's the night!

It's in the Papiersaal in Zürich. A tiny venue, where the crowd surround the stage on 3 sides. One of my fave venues.

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj611/Patrick_Redford/Mobile Uploads/20151006_190915_zpsodatt2ge.jpg

Then as a bonus I took the lift with the drummer (name slipped my mind) was a bit star struck but he was cool!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24864
    Guaranteed he'll be brilliant. As I mentioned in the other thread, the new album - even by his high standards - is exceptional.

Hope you have a great time.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7826
    Gave it a few listens.. very good, really enjoyed it.. and goes to show some people stay musically relevant their whole career...

Hope to buy it tonight but no merch!
  • One of my all time favourite musicians...been listening to Mock Tudor all afternoon. Seen him a few times, solo, with Danny, and with a band, the man doesn't know how to give a bad performance. Enjoy, you're in for a treat.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Wow... support act was a local Swiss kid with a bass player.

Really, really good... used a pigtronix infinity looper to great effect. Best looper use I've seen actually as it was for small parts here and there.

Played with an epiphone, bass player had a squire jazz bass. Sounded immense... see its not the gear you have but what you can do with it that counts...
    edited October 2015
    Loving RT'S rig..

2x deluxe reverb 65 RI
    Fuel tank chameleon
    1 mooer ana echo and 1 Pure Octave
    1 other mooer
    2 malekko pedals a vibe and a trem

DOD FX17 Volume/wah pedal with set min and max for heel toe... (rather than a zero)

Ocd
    Deja vibe
    And an orange wampler compressor
    Ploytune mini

Teetonetal;807287" said:
    Loving RT'S rig..

2x deluxe reverb
    Fuel tank chameleon
    1 mooer pure octave
    3 malekko pedals a chorus, but can't see others maybe the compressor.
    Amt Japanese girl wah
    Ocd
    Deja vibe
    And an orange wampler thing
    Ploytune mini

I had a good nosey at his (small) acoustic board at Gawesworth last year. Had an OCD and Deja Vibe on that too.

Clearly we are massive geeks....
  • Went to see him tail end of the summer. Incredible gig.

The real deal ;)

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    edited October 2015
    Aidanspaghetti;807338" said:
    Went to see him tail end of the summer. Incredible gig. The real deal ;)
    And of an age where he could be forgiven for being past him prime; he's 66 IIRC. But actually just seems to keep getting better....
    Oh my, that was wow. Micheal Jerome is some drummer, seriously good band all round.

Got a few pedals wrong.. he uses a mooer ana echo which makes me happy.

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj611/Patrick_Redford/Mobile Uploads/20151006_224317_zps86bbma6r.jpg

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj611/Patrick_Redford/Mobile Uploads/20151006_212305_zps2atcydbz.jpg

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj611/Patrick_Redford/Mobile Uploads/20151006_210316_zpsxrniuu4l.jpg

One of the best gigs I've ever been too and he is right up there with all the other virtuosos IMHO. . Also his voice is much stoner live than I was expecting.
  • Saw him at the start of his current Tour at the Sage in Gateshead. Very enjoyable, even though I do find some of his electric soloing a bit odd. Saw just him and Danny Thompson do an Acoustic Gig some years ago, which was utterly brilliant.
    @Teetonetal glad you enjoyed it. The Deluxes look like 68 Customs - unless they are 'real' Silverface models.

It looks like you got pretty close to the stage - can you confirm what the amps were?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2015

they were 65 deluxe reverb reissues.. and both were using vibrato input 1

Also worked out all the pedals, so editing the list

I was right in front of him, seriously close enough to touch the guitar.. just liek being at a medium sized pub gig. so awesome.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^ Brilliant - thanks. Proof you don't need a boutique amp to get a great sound!
    ^ Brilliant - thanks. Proof you don't need a boutique amp to get a great sound!
    Apart from the OCD and Deja vibe, he didn't have boutique anything!

But yes, no question, it's player first, gear 2nd.

@ArchtopDave yeah his soloing is not the most melodic, it's very angular, he likes dissonance and chromatic runs. It's cool though, makes a change from DG blues or VAI shred.. occasionally it gets a bit much, but it's fascinating to watch. Where he is best on electric IMO is actually in the body of the song.. his use of chords, riffs and fills is bloody marvelous..

Also clear, at 66 he still loves it. No going through the motions here. The whole band in fact were all broad smiles and crowd engagement.. some older gents still performing (*cough* CLAPTON *cough*) could take note..
    edited October 2015
    ^ I love his electric playing - it is pretty much impossible to figure out where it came from. There's a bit of Django Reinhardt in there in terms of chromaticism - but beyond that RT doesn't really sound like anyone but himself.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12484
    richardhomer;807666" said:
    RT doesn't really sound like anyone but himself.
    Agreed. One of those players that is instantly recognisable in recordings. I've got a box set of his stuff, he was phenomenal even in his teens. Pure natural talent.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3111
    edited October 2015
    Been a fan of the Boy Genius for a while, undoubtedly a shining star from the off. While his axe wielding rightly gets attention, his arrangements and songwriting also stand out. This always does it for me, RT's version of "Willy O' Winsbury". This tune formed the basis for the Fairport song Farewell Farewell, written in the aftermath of the road accident that devastated the Fledgeling folk rock outfit and led to the release of Leige & Leif. One of the greatest recordings of all time. Timely as Me and the Missus are planning on performing a few electric folk classics at open mic tonight. Anyway, enjoy the master at work.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S2DMEtFVK4
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    edited October 2015
    Not having heard any of his stuff til recently, I assumed he was all folky and nothing else.

However, a fellow jam night goer shared a link to a live performance of Shoot Out The Lights - what a player he is...
    Nunogilberto;811005" said:
    Not having heard any of his stuff til recently, I assumed he was all folky and nothing else.

However, a fellow jam night goer shared a link to a live performance of Shoot Out The Lights - what a player he is...
    Funny I was the opposite as I was introduced to him via rumour and sigh. I thought he was only about angular electric playing. Then I saw a video of Vincent black lightening solo. Also wow.

Having seen him up close and personal as a guitarist I think he's as good as any.
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 739
    His son is a great songwriter and performer too. Check out Teddy Thompson.