Often, when buying used guitars, they can be filthy, but new strings and lemon oil fixes it, but...

how would you like this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/08/saxophone-lung-clean-clarinet-instrument-woodwind_n_4221368.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

Notice the bit about those wind/brass instruments schools loan your kids

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73155
    One of my kids has just started clarinet at school, and that's something I had thought about given that it's a loan instrument. Cleaned the mouthpiece with sterilising fluid and only using new reeds. I didn't think the bugs could survive in the body of the instrument itself...

She doesn't seem to have caught anything though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Due to the curved nature of most brass (allowing saliva to pool) I would have thought bugs and bacteria build up were far more of an issue with them than the clarinet.... well hopefully.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited November 2013
    Sharing trumpets is always a tad risky.  Clean your instrument well after its been orally abused.