The Jazzmaster style slow build - The Relic Begins!

What's Hot
nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
edited February 2016 in Making & Modding
So after the question of how to age an anodized guard the body it will eventually be loaded on has arrived! (Still if anyone has any bright ideas of how to do this convincingly let me know)

I can take absolutely no credit for any of the incredible hard work, that honour goes to @GSPbasses.

I went with an alder body, birdseye maple neck with slab Brazilian rosewood board.

The next step will be the slow and steady purchase of the hardware as funds allow before deciding on the final finish ideas.

So here it is in all it's glory so far:

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Looks great so far. Jazzmasters are great. I think it took me over a year to build mine. You'd probably be best squaring off the rear-most corners of the trem route because it's a notorious area for catching the trem unit on when in use. The neck looks amazing. Really nice pieces of maple and rosewood. Makes me tempted to invest in a new neck for my JM. Good luck.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17462
    I have just put a GSP jazzmaster together for a mate, there were absolutely zero hiccups or parts that didn't fit... just really nicely made 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    Still got my GSP Thinline Tele in the the boxes sent - let's see who finishes last ! ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I dont know if it is too late but i think Marc @mojopickups knows a man that does scratchplates...
    might be worth an ask
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Gosh, that's nice!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3129
    Looks great from here!
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    It's been a while but there's some movement now on the paint front. Obviously it's the sonic blue one!
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It's getting closer!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Awesome work Nick, you chose the best colour *ahem*

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    Awesome work Nick, you chose the best colour *ahem*

any influence? ;-)

Haha, good minds......

I know it won't be long before a certain @Gavrichlist comes along to tell us there's only one Jazzmaster finish and we're both wrong ;)
    Here's the neck before the relic starts
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nope, to each their own! Looks a nice neck, that
  • no one likes shiteburst :-P
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Looking nice  :)
  • no one likes shiteburst :-P

both my Jag and JM are things of beauty as far as I'm concerned. I seek not your approval, Castro
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I know Gavalar :-P

(not to mention I have a sunburst Jaguar) (which I personally think is one of the best looking offsets of all time etc)
  • oh and a Firebird....

I need to think about my actions
  • Lovely bit of wood on that neck!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    edited February 2016
    It's now going through some tasteful aging and relic work. Sorry to bore you with the pics!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • how did you make it check like that?

stick it in a bin bag and sling it in the freezer?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom