Which major scales are best to learn?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited October 2015
    There are so many RGT ones, like normal, acoustic and electric I must check out the syllabus. 
    I don't know if it's worth doing them other than to force you to learn this and that in prep for an exam - so it may have its uses.
    Is RGT better than rockschool? 
    I note there's also performance, diploma and graded exams. Too many options!?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Useful link to see what's involved in each:
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    edited October 2015
    If you look on page 5 (link below) of this "electric guitar exam info" it tells you what you need for each grade.  I did all of the exams but you don't have to take them.  I does give you a good sequence to learn scales, chords, intervals  etc. depending on your current knowledge and where you start.  Personally I think it's better than Rockschool.

• I have never been a fan of those pattern charts for guitar scales. Just seems like over complicating everything to me. Memorise the notes on the fretboard is what I would recommend. Doesn't take long to learn if you do it string by string. Then when learning scales all you need to do is learn which notes are flattened or sharpened in the scale and you will be able to play them anywhere on the fretboard, and those patterns will come naturally to you anyway.

To answer the original question, it is usually best to start with learning C Major because it has no flats or sharps, and is easier to visualise the notes you are playing. The more flats and sharps that are in the scale - the more advanced they are deemed to be by teachers.

So it is normal to progress in this order:

C Major - no flats or sharps
    G Major - 1 sharp
    F Major - 1 flat
    D Major - 2 sharps
    Bb Major - 2 flats
    A Major - 3 sharps
    Eb Major - 3 flats
    E Major - 4 sharps
    Ab Major - 4 flats
    B Major - 5 sharps
    Db Major - 5 flats
    F# Major - 6 sharps (same as Gb Major)

You will also need to learn their relative minor scales.

• I have never been a fan of those pattern charts for guitar scales. Just seems like over complicating everything to me. Memorise the notes on the fretboard is what I would recommend.

I'm the complete opposite - I've always found the "pick 8 from 12" logic of the diatonic scale a poor fit for music that makes the most of the possibilities of 12-TET, and generally find the whole note names / sharps and flats thing a load of pianocentric unhelpfulness!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    I have never been a fan of those pattern charts for guitar scales. Just seems like over complicating everything to me. Memorise the notes on the fretboard is what I would recommend. Doesn't take long to learn if you do it string by string. Then when learning scales all you need to do is learn which notes are flattened or sharpened in the scale and you will be able to play them anywhere on the fretboard, and those patterns will come naturally to you anyway.

To answer the original question, it is usually best to start with learning C Major because it has no flats or sharps, and is easier to visualise the notes you are playing. The more flats and sharps that are in the scale - the more advanced they are deemed to be by teachers.

So it is normal to progress in this order:

C Major - no flats or sharps
    G Major - 1 sharp
    F Major - 1 flat
    D Major - 2 sharps
    Bb Major - 2 flats
    A Major - 3 sharps
    Eb Major - 3 flats
    E Major - 4 sharps
    Ab Major - 4 flats
    B Major - 5 sharps
    Db Major - 5 flats
    F# Major - 6 sharps (same as Gb Major)

You will also need to learn their relative minor scales.

Fair enough, and of course we all find our own ways of getting where we want to be, but just to say that I would never advocate learning scale patterns as a substitute for knowing the where notes are on the fretboard, that remains an important thing to know.
  • Rayza1983Rayza1983 Frets: 40
    edited October 2015
    Check this site it shows you every scale in every key, with degree's notes etc. It's helped me loads, I'm trying to get my head around dyads at the moment and the modes. It's a very useful tool and simple to use

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • trevjo7trevjo7 Frets: 14
    A big thank you to ALL who replied to my initial question regarding the learning of the major scales. There are so many differing ways to acquire this skills,  which is encouraging for me. I've stolen, tried a few ideas from each and every one of you.

Thanks to you all,
    Trevor