So that is what they are for...

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 5041
Just discovered that the panel full of different sized 'slots' on the front of my mini tower PC are actually sockets for memory cards such as SanDisk camera memory cards.  My PC is standing on the floor and as it is 'low' I never realized what they were and that my computer is more versatile than I thought.  Normally to copy photos from my camera, I connect the camera to the PC with a USB cable.  Works fine.  Now I know that I can remove the SD card and fit it into the slot.

Another thought, I could backup my data to the SD card. 

It is always a good day when you learn something new.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You did good Rocker, you did good.  Now get some rest. :D
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 619
    Some printers have them too.... if yours does you can put card in printer slot & print direct off card without turning a PC on

Modern cars have SD card slot too... copy yr fave music on to that..slot it in & listen whilst you drive. 

Think their days are numbered though. Soon it will bluetooth/eye fi across devices

Cheers
    Baz
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7927
    you might find they're read-only, I have something similar on my desktop PC and I can't write to an SD card, only download from it.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Paul_C said:
    you might find they're read-only, I have something similar on my desktop PC and I can't write to an SD card, only download from it.
    The slots themselves won't be read-only - all they do is present a device with I/O. The filesystem on the card, however, may well have the read-only flag set on the directories it contains (which the camera will override). Format the SD card on the PC, and you'll be able to put anything you want on there, as long as the physical lock isn't engaged.
    <space for hire>
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    bazxkr said:

Modern cars have SD card slot too... 
    Cheers
    Baz
    a modern car to Rocker is one that has seat-belts

;)

:D
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7927
    Paul_C said:
    The slots themselves won't be read-only - all they do is present a device with I/O. The filesystem on the card, however, may well have the read-only flag set on the directories it contains (which the camera will override). Format the SD card on the PC, and you'll be able to put anything you want on there, as long as the physical lock isn't engaged.
    That may well be true, but I've never found a way to write to a card in one of the slots (they're described as Generic USB Readers) to write to the card I use a plug-in USB SD Reader, which does allow me to read and write.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister