Fret/binding problem

One thing i've noticed with my LP jnr special is that if i pull off on the high e string it will somethines "catch" between the edge of the fret and the binding.
I'm using ernie ball regular slinkys.
Is this just a case of filing down the edges slightly or something for a tech to look at?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7054
    edited November 2013
    Fairly common on Gibsons. I wouldn't file anything though. Adjust you playing style? Perhaps you are pulling the string down a bit rather than cleanly off.

The other solution maybe just a wee drop of super glue between the fret and the nub.

Not sure if it would react with the binding though. I'm sure someone will have the answer shortly.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • Could have a point there.
    I do tend to drag the strings down a little when i pull off a string.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17462
    i go with the superglue between fret an nib, but i wouldn't recommend doing it yourself as there is a bit of risk and it needs fret dressing skills to tidy up

but here is how i would do it:
    1) don't mask anything - superglue likes to wick under masking tape
    2) put a small pool of ordinary superglue on a piece of plastic, old blister packs or cd cases are ideal
    3) get a toothpick and dip it in the superglue
    4) practice applying small amounts of glue  to the plastic surface.
    5) when you are happy you can add a small drop with the toothpick  and it stays where you put it then you should be able to put a small bead of superglue right on the problem area 
    6) the glue will wick into the gap, don't add any more just yet.
    7) let the glue dry thoroughly and repeat if needed, you want to get to the stage where you have a small mound or glue over the join
    8)the glue then needs to be gently sanded back  with fine paper until the bump is gone.  then polish the whole lot and you shouldnt have any more issues
  • Too much fussing around polishig frets etc can wear the 'shoulder' of the fret, so slight pressure in the direction of the edge of the board makes the string think it can take a holiday somewhere around the back of the neck.  Well a slight exaggeration maybe  ;)