Jamie Lawson

What's Hot
BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
My wife heard this song on the radio the other day and played it to me as she thought it was my kind of thing. I just think it's a really well written and played song, very understated.

I don't know anything about him really, and I haven't had a chance to check out his other songs yet.
A quick Google shows that he's 39 from Plymouth and has had some success in the last decade in Ireland but hasn't done much here in the UK until he was the first person signed to Ed Sheeran's new record label.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72941
    I heard this on the radio today. Awful cringeworthy song for the fake-sentiment news generation.

If you want something in the same rough ballpark but which is actually good, try Brandon Flowers' 'The Clock Was Ticking', which I have a suspicion this one might have been nicked from.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    Lol, very scathing there! I think I'd agree if it was written by one of these famous-too-early teenage singer/songwriters. I'll have a listen to the Brandon Flowers song though.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    edited October 2015
    ICBM said:
    I heard this on the radio today. Awful cringeworthy song for the fake-sentiment news generation.

If you want something in the same rough ballpark but which is actually good, try Brandon Flowers' 'The Clock Was Ticking', which I have a suspicion this one might have been nicked from.
    I didn't really get on with th Brandon Flowers song. I think it's that I'm not really a fan of his style - it's almost like he's got a book in front of him and is trying to put the words that he's reading into lyrics whilst reading it. So the lyrics don't really fit with the music and he's making a tune up on the spot. 
    Now I'm sounding scathing, I didn't think it was that bad, just trying to put into words what I didn't like.

If the song subject is "love then death" then one the finest songs I've heard is Waiting On June by Holly Williams

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    Jamie Lawson was on BBC Breakfast the other day with Ed Sheeran, who seems to be a genuine friend/fan and is working hard to promote the guy.

I have to say, his song is dreadful.  Well no, it might be a good song if you like that kind of thing... but I don't.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24864
    Philly_Q;820462" said:
    Jamie Lawson was on BBC Breakfast the other day with Ed Sheeran, who seems to be a genuine friend/fan and is working hard to promote the guy.

I have to say, his song is dreadful.  Well no, it might be a good song if you like that kind of thing... but I don't.
    I saw that too.

It's definitely a bit cringe-worthy - but I reckon the guy sings it with enough sincerity to almost get away with it.

I'd be interested in hearing other stuff he's done in the hope that there's material that it's quite so 'Radio 2'.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3108
    It could have done without the last verse for me. It goes from being quite pleasant to depressing very quickly. Alright if you like that sort of thing.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

Lol, maybe I woul have had more people liking it as well as me if I'd posted on a forum for teenage girls :(
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    BigMonka said:
    Lol, maybe I woul have had more people liking it as well as me if I'd posted on a forum for teenage girls :(
    It's an interesting point.  I don't really know what the fanbase for these whiney singer-songwiter types is.  Sheeran, George Ezra, James Bay, Tom Odell.... they don't really seem like teenage girl music to me, but I don't know who it would appeal to.  Someone's buying their stuff.
    Philly_Q said:
    BigMonka said:
    It's an interesting point.  I don't really know what the fanbase for these whiney singer-songwiter types is.  Sheeran, George Ezra, James Bay, Tom Odell.... they don't really seem like teenage girl music to me, but I don't know who it would appeal to.  Someone's buying their stuff.
    Haha, me! Now where's that 'shamed face' smiley?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72941
    I bought James Bay's album, and my daughter likes George Ezra… both much better than this.

Jamie Lawson's voice reminds me of that horribly affected "Passenger" guy too, which doesn't help.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I like James Bay, but I couldn't imagine listening to more than one of George Ezra's songs - I find his voice really tiring to listen to, although it's nicely unique.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24864
    ICBM;821224" said:
    Jamie Lawson's voice reminds me of that horribly affected "Passenger" guy too, which doesn't help.
    I bet he wasn't expecting that...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom