Tele wiring question

What's Hot
So, I'm building another MJT based tele. The parts arrive soon, pics soon I promise :)

Anyhow I'm gonna try and do all re wiring myself this time rather than buying a harness, and am thinking that I'd like to wire it a bit different to normal, I was thinking without a tone control but instead with the ability to blend neck and bridge pickups in the middle switch position.

So my questions (as I'm a total novice):

1. Do I need some sort of blend control or would bridge and neck volume controls get me to the same place

2. Is this a shit idea generally?

3. If the answer to 2 is yes, what else could I do with the wiring that might be a bit different?

4. If the answer to 2 is no, how the hell do I begin wiring it and what parts do I need?

Pickups are likely to be an AVRI 52 bridge and Twisted Tele neck.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74388
    1. Two volume controls will work perfectly well.

2. I never find the ability to blend pickups very useful, although I know some people do. For me, there is only a tiny range of useful sounds between 'equal volumes' and 'one pickup', effectively only one other tone at best, and not useful enough to justify the faffing around trying to get it right.

3. Why, unless you have something specific you want to do? The standard wiring is standard for a reason.

4. If you do want two volume controls, you just need two 250K Log pots and the standard switch. Wiring is easy - the switch is wired exactly as normal except that the 'common' connection goes to the output jack instead of the volume control; each pickup goes to the top terminal of its volume control, and the middle terminal of the volume control goes to the switch where the pickup wire would normally go.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom