Amaj7 to B - which scales would you use?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Without wanting to sound harsh, think of a melody, and play that. No-one cares what scale it is unless it's an interesting melody.
    You don't sound harsh.  Although you do sound a bit patronising and superior ;)
    I don't know where you get that from.

I agree with @stickyfiddle but I'd go further, use someone elses melody, Miles Davis used to cherry pick other soloist's improv.. and weave them together, Scott Henderson used to say play the rhythm of a piece and the wrong notes and people will still know what you're referencing. A lot of improv references melodies ... Uberjam by John Scofield massively references Blue Moon and is one of the most awesome original jams I've ever heard :)

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27091
    Without wanting to sound harsh, think of a melody, and play that. No-one cares what scale it is unless it's an interesting melody.
    Not meaning to sound superior. I just think "what scales?" is almost always the wrong question to ask. The ear should lead the fingers, not the other way around.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744

Not meaning to sound superior. I just think "what scales?" is almost always the wrong question to ask. The ear should lead the fingers, not the other way around.
    You practice what you play, so play what you practice. When practicing, you're training the ears and fingers to play. It's a form of conditioning, no mystical magic is involved, just your ears and fingers.

Chord Scale Theory or CST as it's known is just a guide, a collection of notes to choose from. Hopefully your ears will tell you that some notes sound better than others. The lack of added chromatic notes is where CST fails (IMO).

Good stuff.

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    ^ wiz though CST doesn't exactly fail as such, because CST devotees would refer to them as passing notes I guess.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.