Chord Progressions / Composition Technique

Right a good chord progression is the I IV V, now lets say we're in 4/4 time and in the key of C major, we use the I IV V for the verse of a song, what chords would you use to make a chorus, bridge, maybe even intro. Keeping this diatonic as I'm not up to key changes yet. Basically I always write a good riff, chord progression but get stuck when it comes to writing more to piece to the song. I'm curious of what others would do, what chords would you use etc, keeping it simple I know this is a huge topic otherwise
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10699
    edited October 2015
    Am, Ab, C, D, F, Fm, C, G7
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    edited October 2015
    Dm Fm C C, Dm Fm C C, Dm Fm Em A, Dm Dm Fm7 G, C.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • viz said:
    Dm Fm C C, Dm Fm C C, Dm Fm Em A, Dm Dm Fm7 G, C.
    Can you say what the verse is and chorus etc as in
    Verse Dm Fm C
    Chorus Dm A
    etc, thanks for reply tho Viz
    edited October 2015
    Well they are both nice progressions in the key of C. I thought of the first post as a chorus, and the 2nd post - I thought the first half was quite a nice bridge, and the 2nd half as a chorus with a big rall. at the end.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited October 2015
    I'd take a fairly simple approach: You've got a sequence of I IV & V chords mapped out over a number of bars. Try taking a bar of the IV chord and make it 2 beats of the vi chord followed by 2 beats of the IV chord. Similarly take a bar of the V chord and make it 2 beats of the ii chord followed by 2 beats of the V chord. Then mess about with the timing so that you get the same order of chord movements but spaced out differently. See if there's a place where you use the V chord but the melody note could also be supported by the iii or the vii chord. You might find several variations. One of which could be your chorus, another your bridge, and you could select out in interesting-sounding sequence for your intro.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • I'd take a fairly simple approach: You've got a sequence of I IV & V chords mapped out over a number of bars. Try taking a bar of the IV chord and make it 2 beats of the vi chord followed by 2 beats of the IV chord. Similarly take a bar of the V chord and make it 2 beats of the ii chord followed by 2 beats of the V chord. Then mess about with the timing so that you get the same order of chord movements but spaced out differently. See if there's a place where you use the V chord but the melody note could also be supported by the iii or the vii chord. You might find several variations. One of which could be your chorus, another your bridge, and you could select out in interesting-sounding sequence for your intro.
    Thanks for the advice, I checked out the Red Hot Chili Peppers Californication, most is in key of Aminor then changes to Amajor for the solo then back to Aminor. I got a good idea off that and I don't know why I haven't actually studied song structure before from actually songs. Think I'll be studying some more now