Off to see Robert Cray tomorrow

HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9811
Very much looking forward to it. I've got a couple of his albums and have always admired his playing, especially his tasteful guitar fills which always seem to fit just perfectly. 
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16333
    Saw him on Friday. Support from Shaun Jones was very good. Robert played well and what a great singer, great band too ( Richard Cousins overlooked as a great bassist).
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24864
    Saw him on his previous tour (May last year) having seen him once before, on one of his first UK tours in the mid-80s.

He didn't look a day older!

His voice is just fantastic live - the fact he's a great guitar player just adds to the irritation.

The guy's a class act. Enjoy the show!
    Quite a mature audience, at 50 I must have been in the youngest ten people there. Robert very engaging and funny too. His use of bends and vibrato very distinctive, some great songs. Great talent.
  • I just googled "Smoking Gun" which is awesome. I remember he used to feature in Guitar Techniques a fair bit.
  • "Nothin' But A Woman" now... wow, great stuff!! 
  • Jesus, got to buy some of his stuff now. 
    I'm not usually into blues but everything I'm hearing by this guy is really amazing!!!!
  • Nobody else commenting on this? 
    SRV was never "my bag" but Robert Cray really resonates with me - absolutely loving this stuff!!
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9811
    Update - Great show. I've rarely seen anyone else who makes it all seem so effortless or is so at one with their guitar (and that includes the likes of Clapton). Band was absolutely tight. Excellent stuff.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6408
    Robert Cray in the 1980s was the dullest concert I ever went to, and the only one I've ever walked out of.  Charisma-less, and self-statisfied.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9811
    edited October 2015
    @jalapeno - I must admit I'd heard other people saying exactly this, so was a bit concerned that the gig wouldn't be up to much. Fortunately this turned out not to be the case. His rapport with the audience maybe wasn't the greatest but was certainly better than some I've seen. However, the band and the music were absolutely top-notch. 

(As an aside re walking out of concerts I can remember leaving a Clapton gig early, probably also in the eighties. I've seen him a few times and he's been excellent but this particular concert was just dull and tedious.)
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12484
    I've got one of his 90s albums somewhere. Strong Persuader? Or is that just a track from it? He's a good player but by god I hate his weedy thin tone.
  • I love his tone!
    Surprised to hear that, jal!
    Jalapeno;823976" said:
    Robert Cray in the 1980s was the dullest concert I ever went to, and the only one I've ever walked out of.  Charisma-less, and self-statisfied.
    Very engaging with the audience last week, lots of humour, answering things shouted from the audience . Perhaps he just likes Brummies.
    Robert plays within certain parameters but he still tried to mix things up - extending some songs, a few different guitar sounds, couple of keyboard solos rather than guitar. Richard Cousins changed bass on nearly every number which became funny in itself. Robert and Richard dancing and clowning around. MrsTheWeary loved it and she almost never loves any band I drag her to.