Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Jazz III picks - alternatives?

What's Hot
I normally use the little jazz iii picks, and quite like them.  The sound they give is nicer than the equivalent tortex bigguns, and it's easy to use.

Problem is, I wear them out really fast and once the edge is worn, there is no purchase on the unwound strings.  

Is there a similar pick made from diamond something harder than the red stuff that won't require me to buy dozens at a time every month?

I'm happy with my picking technique, it's relatively clean (and getting cleaner and faster) and it works for both fast riffing and lead lines by changing the angle of the pick. But it just seems to destroy them...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34307
    I switched from Jazz III's to Planet Waves Black Ice.
    They are excellent.
  • Many thanks, I'll see if I can find some cheap. :D
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9082
    Have you tried rubbing the edge of the pick along the carpet to reshape the edge? It only takes a couple of strokes.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Roland said:
    Have you tried rubbing the edge of the pick along the carpet to reshape the edge? It only takes a couple of strokes.
    There is a euphemism in there somewhere, but I can't work it out...

Nah, this is wearing down as in, no point on the pick.  It's always angled, too, so it wears away quite a bit of the pick. I used to do that, but I pick hard now for a massive attack sound.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18300
    tFB Trader
    Carbon fibre Jazz III?
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2150
    tFB Trader
    Funnily enough, I use Jazz III XLs, and I struggle with new ones until the pointy bit is worn off! :)
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11843
    tFB Trader
    A geezer I used to know (worked for a jet engine company) made me a bunch of small titanium picks years ago they were bloody fantastic. Long since lost my last one ... but they never wore in the slightest.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• martinw;79395" said:
    Funnily enough, I use Jazz III XLs, and I struggle with new ones until the pointy bit is worn off! :)
    I'll send you mine after 2 hours of use ;)

Just kidding, there is hardly anything left by then... :)

Titanium picks? That sounds cool. I had a metal one that I liked but for the textured finish, which extended to the point and made picking fast impossible without horrendous scraping sounds before each note...

I'll look into the carbon ones for sure!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3477
  • octatonic said:
    I switched from Jazz III's to Planet Waves Black Ice.
    They are excellent.
    Black Ice are really nice.

I also quite like the Hetfield Black Fang pick for a pointy fullsize.

My favourite picks for tone and feel are the nylon 1mm Dunlops - the new 'Max Grip' are especially nice.  They really don't last long but picks aren't that expensive in the grand scheme of things so I just buy another 12 pack every time they're buggered - I think they're about £5 per dozen.
  • Try the new Dunlop Petrucci sig Jazz pic. Its the best pick I've ever used.
    I bought a few bags so I'll never run out.
    Awesome
  • I've never worn a red Jazz III out. What are you doing to them? The Ultex 2.0 does wear but they seem to get better for me as they do. I've had some red ones for 5+ years and they're still great.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• I've never worn a red Jazz III out. What are you doing to them? The Ultex 2.0 does wear but they seem to get better for me as they do. I've had some red ones for 5+ years and they're still great.

Do you have a light pick attack?

I've never found a single pick that won't wear for me, so I stopped looking for 'wear' characteristics and started looking for tone and feel instead.  I have a pretty hefty pick attack when playing rock/metal electric guitar and seem to wear through anything.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18300
    tFB Trader
    I've never worn a red Jazz III out. What are you doing to them? The Ultex 2.0 does wear but they seem to get better for me as they do. I've had some red ones for 5+ years and they're still great.
    The Carbon Fibre seem to last essentially for ever for me, but even the reds last me ages. Maybe it's because I don't do a lot of chuggy stuff.
  • Timber tones do various metal and stone options. Maybe something there that'll do the job?
  • xGizmoxGizmo Frets: 1118
    Ive been using the Dava Jazz Grip picks for a while they feel just like Jazz III's but because of the rubber grip coating i they don't slip as much,they also come with 3 different tip materials,the poly gel being my fav,for super hard wearing you might want to check out the Dava Rock control picks with silver-nickel tips but then with a metal tip i guess you'll be trading changing picks for strings!

• I have one of those Davas with the metal tips.  They are way easier to use than a sixpence when going for the Brian May vibe, however they're not really as versatile as a normal pick for everyday playing (unless you otherwise use a sixpence!).
  • I used to use the carbon jazz 3s never wore one of those out - now Im using the Petrucci ones - like a bigger version and havent worn any of those out yet - lost a few mind!

• mudslide73;79512" said:
    I've never worn a red Jazz III out. What are you doing to them? The Ultex 2.0 does wear but they seem to get better for me as they do. I've had some red ones for 5+ years and they're still great.
    I play heavy rock and heavy punk/metal.

As an example, I've been learning this recently, and those fast riffs really hammer the hell out of the pick and the strings. Obviously, it takes many many hours to learn something like this, but I enjoy it anyway.

I play funk a lot, too, which also chews them up something rotten. Making a good attack sound on the note is important for me.

I'll check out the petrucci ones, too. Keep 'em coming, guys! I treat tone more important than longevity, but it's a bit of a joke, they just get mullered within a few hours.
  • ^^Ah I see...
    "A city star won’t shine too far"