and use code CUKFLASH 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Clarky said:
    Snap said:
    hey Clarky, do you any links to your stuff? I'd like to have a listen

cheers
    J
    Gates of Centaurus is our first submission to EMI since getting signed to them

we are working on other pieces but I'm not permitted to post links to these until the trailer house I work for submits the next album
    @Clarky .. loved that .. I still listen to your last album .. I look forward to the next.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Fretwired said:
    Clarky said:
    Snap said:

cheers
    J

we are working on other pieces but I'm not permitted to post links to these until the trailer house I work for submits the next album
    @Clarky .. loved that .. I still listen to your last album .. I look forward to the next.
    haa.. thanks matey….
    it's cool to know that Shredz still gets heard from time to time.. puts a big smile on my face for sure..
    actually I do need to do another album..
    over the last few years I've been working on albums for other bands.. 
    session work, DC Band and of course the funky one by the Civilians [which is my personal fave]..
    I have written a handful of songs.. like with vocals and stuff..
    but the only instrumental stuff I've been doing is the trailer music

but yeah… I really would like to do another big ol' shelf indulgent epic..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Clarky said:
    Snap said:
    Clarky said:
    Snap said:

cheers
    J

oh yes, kin ell, I like that mate. That's some big kick ass shit.

haa thanks matey...

we have a few more on the go right now at various stages..

in truth.. this trailer stuff is the single most difficult style I've ever had to work with..

and it's a nightmare to mix... they often can have well over 100 tracks.. all fighting for space..

and... lmao... it takes several months to nail a piece that's just 2 min 30 sec long.. the trailer house sets a bench mark in terms of composition, orchestration and production that is soooo very high that it's frustratingly hard to hit.. and having submitted a version, then got back a novel worth of suggested corrections / changes and general comments that leave you pulling your hair out, and then been around this cycle of changes repeatedly for months [which drives you totally round the twist and can be infuriating], when you listen to the final piece and compare that to the one first submitted you have to concede that the fkrs are 100% spot on every time.. they seriously know their sht.. they are annoyingly clever.. lmao..

Pal, I can completely believe that. From my VERY limited and amateur experience of trying to do big soundscape stuff, the pallete soon gets very full. THing is Clarky, think about what you are learning though. And learning from people at the top of their game,

Must be working cos that track sounds ace.

Dunno if you've heard it, but the Inception soundtrack (Hans Zimmer) is superbly mixed - it sounds so big. As does the Dracula Untold. There was a remix comp for Dracula, and I've got stems for it, somewhere, jaysus H they sound so good.

Good luck with it though, it is sounding awesome, so please, as you can, do post up any links etc, the rest of us plebs can learn a trick or two as you march to become the next Hans Zimmer, James Horner, John WIlliams.

Clint Mansell - heard any of his stuff? OST to Moon, ace.
    Snap said:
    Clarky said:
    Snap said:
    Clarky said:
    Snap said:

cheers
    J

oh yes, kin ell, I like that mate. That's some big kick ass shit.

haa thanks matey...

we have a few more on the go right now at various stages..

in truth.. this trailer stuff is the single most difficult style I've ever had to work with..

and it's a nightmare to mix... they often can have well over 100 tracks.. all fighting for space..

and... lmao... it takes several months to nail a piece that's just 2 min 30 sec long.. the trailer house sets a bench mark in terms of composition, orchestration and production that is soooo very high that it's frustratingly hard to hit.. and having submitted a version, then got back a novel worth of suggested corrections / changes and general comments that leave you pulling your hair out, and then been around this cycle of changes repeatedly for months [which drives you totally round the twist and can be infuriating], when you listen to the final piece and compare that to the one first submitted you have to concede that the fkrs are 100% spot on every time.. they seriously know their sht.. they are annoyingly clever.. lmao..

Pal, I can completely believe that. From my VERY limited and amateur experience of trying to do big soundscape stuff, the pallete soon gets very full. THing is Clarky, think about what you are learning though. And learning from people at the top of their game,

Must be working cos that track sounds ace.

Dunno if you've heard it, but the Inception soundtrack (Hans Zimmer) is superbly mixed - it sounds so big. As does the Dracula Untold. There was a remix comp for Dracula, and I've got stems for it, somewhere, jaysus H they sound so good.

Good luck with it though, it is sounding awesome, so please, as you can, do post up any links etc, the rest of us plebs can learn a trick or two as you march to become the next Hans Zimmer, James Horner, John WIlliams.

Clint Mansell - heard any of his stuff? OST to Moon, ace.
    Zimmer and Williams are amazing.. jenius level sort of amazing
    but they do movie scores rather than trailers..
    trailer writing is a whole different thing and most often will be created by completely different people / companies..
    this is with the exception of films like Star Wars where the theme is so iconic it has to be in the trailer..

for top draw trailer music check out Really Slow Motion and Immediate Music
    the composers and production teams they have working for them are just about as good as it gets.. 
    IMHO these guys are setting the bench mark right now

not heard anything by Clint Mansell.. I'll have to go check him out..
    Showing my ignorance Clarky. And now you've pointed it out, scoring a trailer is so obviously different to a full film score. Clint mansell is very good IMO. Moon is a great film full stop and the score is perfect.
    Snap said:
    Showing my ignorance Clarky. And now you've pointed it out, scoring a trailer is so obviously different to a full film score. Clint mansell is very good IMO. Moon is a great film full stop and the score is perfect.
    trailer and movie scoring are very different skills.. and both very difficult but for completely opposing reasons..
    in a movie you have time.. often lots and lots of it.. you have to fill space, make the music movie with the mood of the scene..
    build / release tension etc etc… sounds easy don't it.. lol..

with a trailer you never get get to see the film.. you write to a brief.. and you have a set length.. generally it has to be between 2:30 and 3:30 long.. you have no time to spin-out the themes, but you must develop them.. you have very little time to build to the climax but it must happen.
    it's like a single length shock 'n' awe hybrid orchestral symphony.. 
    worse.. trailer is actually a genre in its own right..
    I mostly write what they refer to as 'epic' and 'ascendent' style.. it has to be rocky [but never rock], has to be orchestral [but never classical], has to contain synthesis [but never be electronica].. rather it hints at other styles without being allowed to fully step into it..
    I guess it's like multiple layers of music genre caricatures, whilst trying to be something in its own right..

put simply.. it's massively and annoyingly ambiguous stuff to create.. and therefore really easy to get wrong..
    Snap said:
    listening to him right now…
    very beautifully scored.. sensitive and moving stuff indeed.. love it..

Really Slow Motion is my personal fave trailer writing house.. for me they set the bench mark.. and a seriously high one at that..
    this is a fave of mine.. Absolution

bought it. should arrive today.

GAS has been appeased, for the moment.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11912
    Snap said:
    bought it. should arrive today.

GAS has been appeased, for the moment.
    what's the best deal out there?
    Juno records, I paid £252 delivered.

Mind you, its not arrived yet......

I am jumping every time the door goes.

I love the GAS. Its great.

Yesterday I took delivery of a foot pedal. That got me all GASsed up too. Even small gas is good.
    Clarky said:
    Snap said:

Really Slow Motion is my personal fave trailer writing house.. for me they set the bench mark.. and a seriously high one at that..

CHrist on  Kawasaki!! That's one big thing. Like it. Heeeyoooge!

Snap said:
    Clarky said:
    Snap said:

CHrist on  Kawasaki!! That's one big thing. Like it. Heeeyoooge!
    great ain't it…
    in fact a lot of the Incendus album material is just stunning…
    when I grow up I wanna make choonz like that..
    me too mate, me too.

Have you looked at some of the NI stuff? Rise and Hit looks good.

I've been getting to grips with Action Strings, that's good too.
    it has arrived. But is still in shrinkwrap as I have stuff I need to do and once that box is open.......
    Snap said:
    me too mate, me too.

Have you looked at some of the NI stuff? Rise and Hit looks good.

I've been getting to grips with Action Strings, that's good too.

I have a great many NI instruments.. rise and hit is one of them..

and I've recently got Symph Series Brass Collection.. I won't be getting their new strings though [although it looks fabulous] cos I have CS2 [which is also fabulous]

Snap said:
    it has arrived. But is still in shrinkwrap as I have stuff I need to do and once that box is open.......
    jealous.....
    Clarky, I have opened it. 8 DVDs of installation!! Plus stuff to download.

wow
    haaa.... done that a few times... BFD2, Komplete7 and 9, and several others..
    yes Komp 9 ultimate took some installing.

still, usually worth it.

MIght start it off in a bit.