Dylan - RAH Thursday 22nd

SRichSRich Frets: 763
edited October 2015 in Music
Had the tix for ages and finally it comes around......

...........OK so he can't sing well and it takes forever to work out which song is actually being performed, but the band is kick-ass. I never tire of seeing the concentration on the band's faces so they can keep up with His Bobness.

And Charlie Sexton is a great multi instumentalist.

Anyone going?

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3106
    Me and the missus went about 10 years ago. Get there early, he went on at 7.30 and we were back outside the venue before 10pm (crap because for once we'd booked a cab). You're right about not recognising the songs too, even after the chorus sometimes. Still a thrilling gig with a great band - I wish we were going. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22458
    edited October 2015
    From Dylan's soundcheck this afternoon, his current version of 'Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands'. 

I've seen him once and hated it. Like watching a very competent bar band fronted by Vic Reeves doing his Northern club singer routine. Best stick to the albums. 

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23482
    SRich said:

...........OK so he can't sing well and it takes forever to work out which song is actually being performed, but the band is kick-ass. I never tire of seeing the concentration on the band's faces so they can keep up with His Bobness.

And Charlie Sexton is a great multi instrumentalist.

I was talking to a friend of mine today who'd been to see him, she was also saying that she could hardly recognise any of the songs!  She was sitting in one of the boxes at the RAH and said the music was being drowned out by two women sat behind her chatting, so it can't have been very loud.

She didn't mention Charlie Sexton, although we saw him playing with Arc Angels a few years ago.  Doubt she'd have a clue who he was, to be honest.

• SRichSRich Frets: 763
    edited October 2015
    I was amazed by Dylan's vocals.... Better than I have ever heard him by far.

The band including Charlie were just so tight and rehearsed, there were precious few times they could stretch out.

I do smile at the fact I have only seen Dylan with a guitar (a Deusy) once....I don't think there was even a guitar onstage for him on Thursday.

Great night though....good to be in the room.

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16035
    From Dylan's soundcheck this afternoon, his current version of 'Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands'. 

I've seen him once and hated it. Like watching a very competent bar band fronted by Vic Reeves doing his Northern club singer routine. Best stick to the albums. 

*spoilers*

Basil Brush won the stand off

tae be or not tae be
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33884
    I am going on Sunday.
    Can't wait and I'm not really the hugest Dylan fan.
    octatonic said:
    I am going on Sunday.
    Can't wait and I'm not really the hugest Dylan fan.
    His poster for the tour says: "8:00 Prompt"......don't be fooled, he was on stage about 7:35. It caught out quite a few London Hipsters for whom being last in seems real important.

@octatonic

How was the Sunday Dylan night?