Anyone like WatchTower?

What's Hot
bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
I see they're releasing three new songs.  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Absolutely love it.  It's the only magazine I still subscribe to.  This one particularly had some really handy tips -

http://ingcointernational.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/february-1-watchtower-public.jpg

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533

I bought the Control and Resistance album many years ago but to be honest I never really got into it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2950
    Oh wow, thanks for this. Sounds like the old stuff. I love me some techy thrash.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31085
    Are the Joker and the Thief appearing in it?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16332
    randomhandclaps;826131" said:
    Absolutely love it.  It's the only magazine I still subscribe to.  This one particularly had some really handy tips -http://ingcointernational.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/february-1-watchtower-public.jpg
    I think Awake was the other one. My mother used to buy both. As she was a Mormon so I don't know why she did, maybe in sympathy with people from other minority religions. But I was a regular reader for many years. It all made some kind of sense at the time.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I fucking love Ron Jarzombek, he's one of the most underrated guitarists out there, but I've never ever been able to get into Watchtower, they just really didn't appeal to me for whatever reason.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12484
    Never heard of them before but I listened to the clip.
    Do not like.
  • Forgot I posted this thread to be honest with you.
  • Absolutely love it.  It's the only magazine I still subscribe to.  This one particularly had some really handy tips -

http://ingcointernational.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/february-1-watchtower-public.jpg

I had you down as more of a People's Friend reader.  
  • Philly_Q said:

I bought the Control and Resistance album many years ago but to be honest I never really got into it.

Thing is I kind of don't like that album but still listen to it.  I did find a list on RYM called "Acts of which the vocal style diminishes or ruins my enjoyment of them" and I think that sums up Watchtower for me.

Not enough Armageddon survival tips in People's Friend for my liking... not even any post-apocalyptal knitting patterns.

Not enough Armageddon survival tips in People's Friend for my liking... not even any post-apocalyptal knitting patterns.
    I guess I wont be getting you the People's Friend Yearbook 2016 for xmas then.  There goes that idea...
  • Might still be worth it as Armageddon isn't until 2018.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3074
    Philly_Q said:

I had that at the time, too.  I seem to remember thinking it was awesome.

Hadn't heard it for yonks so I bought the CD a year or so ago. 

Oh dear.  What was I thinking?

The playing is clearly excellent but it's the vocals that ruin everything.  Like Geoff Tate with a tummy ache....

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    I listened to it tonight.  It's both better and worse than I remembered.  The instrumental parts are highly impressive but they're so busy, the songs rarely develop any kind of groove.  

As for the vocals, I don't really hate his style, it's of its time - reminds me of Crimson Glory, Agent Steel, Queensryche, even Iron Maiden.  I think it's the lack of vocal melodies that's the problem! 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16332
    I listened last night. It's an interesting journey and I think I was hearing bits of Steve Vai and Rush and it is clever playing. But it isn't exactly a memorable song and it is the worst band name ever ( connotations of JWs or terrible classic rock covers - if it's ironic then it's lost on me).
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>