Bit of a departure...a tele

What's Hot
A bit of a departure for me, that is.  Tele's are not really my thing (for which I apologise to the majority of the guitaring fraternity).  I know they sound great, and I know that the great majority of professional players have at least one in their arsenal but...

Anyway, my personal preference is  irrelevant.  The deal that my old-gits-band's lead guitarist put forward was his (very nice) single cut Tyler Variax, in exchange for me building him a butterscotch blonde 'traditional' tele.

Just finished it and, yes, it DOES sound fantastic and just like a tele, but....you know?

I won't bore you all with a thread this time - it was a bit of a bitsa build so pretty conventional.  

It WAS my first foray into nitro finish thanks to @SteveRobinson's wonderful spray cans.  I was pleased with the result and will try something similar again soon.

Here it is (bit lighter in the flesh...it was a very, very dull day today):

Andy
0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Dude forget about boring with the details it's us! So make with the details already... and more pics :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    So much correctness. :)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7077
    tFB Trader
    Great job Andy!
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    Adam_MD said:
    Dude forget about boring with the details it's us! So make with the details already... and more pics :D
    Haven't really got any progress photos, @Adam_MD, but in terms of the basic spec:

• Alder body (blonde's are usually Ash, but this was a pre-made - and well-made - body going for a song)
    • Fender MIM tele neck - but originally one with a strat shaped headstock.  I reshaped the headstock, but also took some of the bulk off the neck to head closer to a medium 'V' .  Also had to plug and redrill a couple of the neck screw-holes as the neck was originally micro-adjust but the body had conventional heel holes already drilled
    • Tonerider Vintage plus p/ups
    • Axesrus ready made control plate.  Chose the option of classic tone from zero a mid point, and then added treble from mid-point to full
    • Axesrus scratchplate
    • Fender bridgeplate and compensated brass saddles. 
    Went for Steve's white blonde nitro spray and tinted varnish, rather than the butterscotch blonde spray, after a decent few coats of sanding sealer, flattened off, then finally covered with clear gloss.  Probably overdid the tinted varnish a little.  Buffed with Maguires cutting polish and carnauba wax.

Sorry about the lack of details and photies....it was a bit of a quick build.    

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnBJohnB Frets: 121
    edited October 2015
    Very nice....never been a Tele man either, but I am just finishing my first one - after 40 odd years of buying and selling guitars I wanted to play