Trimming Veneer

How? 

I made a cabinet base and stuck some Bolivian Walnut veneer on it with a roller, wood glue, old carpet 4 x 0.5" timber lengths and a load of G clamps.  I don't trust my gluing as I didn't have enough clamps.  I figured it would be easy to cut it with a sharp Stanley blade running with the grain where it runs off the wood, as it was last night and I was half cut, but it's tough.

Don't want to use a router as I don't trust my gluing.  Small saw?  Veneer saw before sanding flush?

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16780
    I normally use a very sharp knife or chisel, but if you're not convinced its stuck down you really need to deal with that first - get the iron out!
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited October 2015

edited October 2015

It's stuck OK, apart from one tiny bit at the far edge, more the point is that I don't trust myself with a Stanley knife, as I can't get on top of it with a steel rule. It was normal wood, no backing and I rollered wood glue after spraying it damp before clamping.  A knife sort of follows the grain.  I'm not good with knives. Drawknife OK, not a normal knife. Also crap at sharpening things.

I'm a bit scared I'II wreck it.

Power sand the edge at an angle? Not as neat as a knife but fairly risk free if cutting is out
    edited October 2015
    Actually I am pretty handy with an angle grinder, maybe a 0.8mm metal cutting disc.  I'II try a new blade, if you say it's OK you know what you are talking about.  Thanks Wez
    Walnut normally scrapes quite well so cut close and finish off by scraping it level
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33839
    I would use a scalpel here.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    For trimming veneer, I always use a Stanley disposable knife - they are sharp enough but stiff enough and long enough to use a gentle sawing motion once the blade is properly through the veneer:

Main tip is to always cut 'uphill' :

Other tips:
    • start your piercing cut from the veneer side, so you are pressing the veneer into the cabinet, not away from it
    • Once you have got the blade in, angle it at about 45 degrees and use the corner of the cabinet as your blade guide
    • Use small sawing movements as you cut through the veneer
    Hope this helps!
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    Here's a shot of me trimming a very flaky veneer.  See how I am using the body as the blade guide.  Also see how the grain will push the blade away from the body edge, not into it:

• JohnBJohnB Frets: 121
    I agree with @andyjr1515 you can use a really sharp blade with the grain direction lifting you away - sanding a slight bevel also works.
    Unless the veneer has a very strong grain (like wenge which was a horror) it shouldn't be too difficult  You could rout it in the back rout direction and probably get away with it - forward routing risks tearing the grain. I would probably cut close then sand the last edge

I was thinking, I might be happier with a long hacksaw blade against a steel rule as a guide on the inside edge when going along the grain.  I'II try the knife thing though first.

Thanks!