Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NGD - it's here!! - New Gibson Les Paul Junior 2015 - £419 !!!!!!!

What's Hot
TheDarkLordTheDarkLord Frets: 34
edited October 2015 in Guitar
To be honest, I don't need another guitar, but I couldn't resist one of these for only £419.  I mean, £419 for a brand new, with case, USA Les Paul Junior?  

I'm a bit of an LPJ fan.  I've had a few, both Gibson and Epiphone down the years.   I've even had a luthier make me a custom one with Telecaster electronics.  This was too good to be true - so I pulled the trigger on a vintage sunburst model yesterday and expect to take delivery on Tuesday!  Can't wait.

There has been a lot of talk about these new models online. A lot of traditionalists are not keen.  Comes with a slim but wider than usual fretboard - some people are likening them to classical acoustic guitars.  Oh err .... hope not.  Also, there is an adjustable metal zero fret nut which is viewed with suspicion for some.  And then there's the G-Force mechanical tuning thing.

£419 though !!!!!!  With a hard case.  And I do like a bit of LPJ.  I'll have some of that.  It's not like I'll lose that much if I move it on.

Pics and a report to come next week.
Money, guitars, cars, football, beer and women - roughly in that order.  Also, black things are good.  All hail the Lords Black, Burnel, Cornwell and Greenfield - and Squire Warne.  Currently levelling buildings with a Precision bass for the unrivalled www.daphnedontfloat.com
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Happy NGD :)

Is this one of the Coda ones
  • I nearly got  one at 499. I will when they come down more!
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Well....that is brave if you have not played one.
    I played a late sixties sg - with a so called pencil neck - for several years, and did not know it was narrow at the nut. It was just a guitar. It was a Gibson!
    Yes - I played it and gigged with it. And nothing weird happened when I picked it up. My hand didn't fall off! I didn't fluff any Cowboy Chord changes.....I just played it.

But I still think you are brave buying untried.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Skipped;829705" said:

I played a late sixties sg - with a so called pencil neck - for several years, and did not know it was narrow at the nut. It was just a guitar. It was a Gibson!

Yes - I played it and gigged with it. And nothing weird happened when I picked it up. My hand didn't fall off! I didn't fluff any Cowboy Chord changes.....I just played it.

Nothing brave about it as he'll just use the distance selling act to send it back if it's not to his liking.

No risk other than the courier charge to send it back.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Skipped;829705" said:

Nothing brave about it as he'll just use the distance selling act to send it back if it's not to his liking.

No risk other than the courier charge to send it back.
    Good point.

• Oh I've bought a million guitars without seeing them.  New ones, from a well-known retailer whom I've used before shouldn't be much of a risk.

Also, I know LPJs quite well and like 'em.  This is a variant - let's see.

Whatever happens, at that price, I ain't gonna lose out.
    Money, guitars, cars, football, beer and women - roughly in that order.  Also, black things are good.  All hail the Lords Black, Burnel, Cornwell and Greenfield - and Squire Warne.  Currently levelling buildings with a Precision bass for the unrivalled www.daphnedontfloat.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7066
    Can't go wrong at that price. Mine cost me about £465 earlier this year with some discount. It's yellow.

If the Internet didn't tell you the neck was shit you probably wouldn't notice that much difference.

You now have it in your mind that it is 'too different' and will be looking to reinforce that when you play it.

All my guitars have different necks and finger boards but funilly enough I can play all of them! Even the skinny Ric fretboard.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7716
    I've probably only ever tried one guitar before buying it. If you don't mind hanging on to something for a while there's always someone who will buy it off you if you wait.
  • Iamnobody said:
    Can't go wrong at that price. Mine cost me about £465 earlier this year with some discount. It's yellow.

If the Internet didn't tell you the neck was shit you probably wouldn't notice that much difference.

You now have it in your mind that it is 'too different' and will be looking to reinforce that when you play it.

All my guitars have different necks and finger boards but funilly enough I can play all of them! Even the skinny Ric fretboard.
    I'm a bass player really and switch from a 1989 Fender Japan Jazz (neck like a pencil) to a 1999 Fender Precision (neck like a caveman's club) without a problem.  I'm sure the neck won't be an issue.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Have to agree with on the "neck people", I can quite happily switch from my SG with a tiny neck to my LPJ with a huge handful of a neck and then to my LP with a 60s neck and have no issue. I don't need all my guitars to have similar necks, the fact they don't is why own them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5424
    edited October 2015
    Congrats!
    I have a 2010 LP Jr & love it. If I could only keep one electric guitar it'd be that one.

Pedantic point of order though. You mean LP Jr don't you?- single P90 etc, rather than "LPJ". Gibson made an LPJ model, it's a very different beast.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    stimpsonslostson;830144" said:
    Congrats!
    I have a 2010 LP Jr & love it. If I could only keep one electric guitar it'd be that one.

Pedantic point of order though. You mean LP Jr don't you?- single P90 etc, rather than "LPJ". Gibson made an LPJ model, it's a very different beast.
    Yeah Gibson really muddied the waters with the LPJ model :D I do love that model though.

• Congrats!

Lol.  Yes. New 2015 model.  Maybe I should abbreviate it as LPJr then?

• Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1822
    Blimey they hit that low now where was that from? I said if they hit 399.00 I would dive in that's close Ha ha
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3847
    Can't go wrong at that price, if I didn't already have a Jr I'd be in there.

Hope you enjoy it and it suits you.
  • Does it have the thick neck?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7066
    edited October 2015
    thomasross20;830263" said:
    Does it have the thick neck?
    Thinnish neck with a wider fretboard. It's really not that bad.

You might not want it on your only guitar though if it's not a favourite combination.

I'm not sure if it's the extra fretboard width but it doesn't feel that thin in use. I know they vary and maybe mines is on the fuller side.

I generally like a full rounded neck (U shaped fender seems to be my favourite) but will happily play the 2015 junior.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • Good price regardless, enjoy!
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2441
    Happy upcoming new guitar day!

I'd love a "proper" junior, but I use the neck pickup predominantly and I'm yet to find one with a single p90 in the neck.