Jimmy Page lost it?

What's Hot
rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1388
So I watched 'it might get loud' this morning. Google it. Jack White, The Edge and Jimmy Page in conversation but it included a section with Page talking about 'Stairway' and it taking a life of its own every time he played it. To be be fair, old footage showed him nailing the solo in that track which brings me to the the point. Just watched the 2007 Celebration day footage on Sky arts. Let's just say imho he didn't make the best of that solo.... Discuss (ducks and runs for cover)
An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rsvmark said:
    So I watched 'it might get loud' this morning. Google it. Jack White, The Edge and Jimmy Page in conversation but it included a section with Page talking about 'Stairway' and it taking a life of its own every time he played it. To be be fair, old footage showed him nailing the solo in that track which brings me to the the point. Just watched the 2007 Celebration day footage on Sky arts. Let's just say imho he didn't make the best of that solo.... Discuss (ducks and runs for cover)
    He was always a bit sloppy live.  Tight but loose is how the whole band was referred to at times..  
  • I'd hazard a guess there was limited reheasal before the '07 gig. Different to when they were at their peak and playing it every night.
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited October 2015

Have you ever seen a 71 year old man trying to reverse a car?  Thread a needle?  Balance on one leg?  Yes I think it is fair to say that a 71 year old guitar god whose hay day was 40 plus years ago may be slightly on the wane.

I don't get it.  It's a bit like people moaning about Gilmour the other week for not being what he was now he's at the age of 69.  My granddad was the hardest bastard I'd ever met in my life but when he was a slightly frail 70 year old I never thought "Yeah, I could take you now old man!".  Is the whole point not a respect for what they have done rather than trying to throw them on the trash heap because time is catching up with them?  It seems like a really British thing to do.  America seems to get it better with reverence to the elderly IMO.  People still turn out in droves to see Muhammad Ali and he's (almost literally) a shell of what he was. 

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 15reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3106
    imo he peaked on the Euro 73 run of shows - even then his technique wasn't at the level of 70/71. I agree with @randomhandclaps but I think his decline set in once guitar wasn't his main interest any more ;)
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6405
    rsvmark said:
    He was always a bit sloppy live.  Tight but loose is how the whole band was referred to at times..  
    Yep, you have to take him for what he is. LZ have never been a recital band, you should hear what Percy does to LZ numbers with his band !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited October 2015
    @Bingefeller said he's always been sloppy live, but let's be honest - he was often sloppy in the studio as well.

I'm of the unpopular and controversial opinion that he's never been that good. He wrote a lot of great stuff (and stole a lot of great stuff off other people) and is a hugely important musician, I'd never try to deny his impact and influence on the course of music since, but as an actual lead guitarist? He had a couple of great solos, plenty of "meh" ones and some absolute fucking howlers too.

inb4 I get ripped to shreds.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27502
    I agree with @Bucket. His songwriting, arrangement and production were all leagues ahead of his playing. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6842
    tFB Trader
    I'm with @bucket & @stickyfiddle. Has he ever 'had it'?
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Whether he ever had it or not is subjective as it depends what you are looking for. His main impact though was undoubtedly over 40 years ago. A strange thing about Page is that a lot of the time his playing was tidier on other people's stuff. It's like with LZ he was pushing everything to his limits. Guitar playing aside his ability as a composer and producer is well up there. 

Because of the Yardbirds connection Page and Beck are often lumped in together. I'm sure a lot will agree that Page is not a patch on the guitarist Beck is, yet I far more often find myself choosing to listen to Page's work over Beck's.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27502
    randomhandclaps said:
    Because of the Yardbirds connection Page and Beck are often lumped in together. I'm sure a lot will agree that Page is not a patch on the guitarist Beck is, yet I far more often find myself choosing to listen to Page's work over Beck's. Agree with this in particular. Beck is clearly a more gifted musician and player. But as a
    songwriter, not so much. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • shugzshugz Frets: 770
    Out of the Surrey Delta:

Beck - most technically gifted, innovative, forward thinking, constantly seeking to improve/ learn/ acquire new skill. Not a natural songwriter though. He will never be forgiven for Hi Ho no matter how many jazz-rock-fusion albums he does.

Clapton - Once THE man, the trailblazer, game changer, purist. Now a consummate musician that can seemingly coast or play with fire when the mood takes. His contribution to rock guitar can never be undermined no matter how nice his Ferraris and jumpers get. A gifted songwriter when the stars align.

Page - Done it all. Absolutely no need to prove anything to anyone, now or then. Sloppy yet brilliant, tight but loose, sober yet un-sober. Add in fantastic showman, songwriter, musician, bandleader, producer, engineer and very adept at the business side of things as well. He has done the lot. Most of it good, that's not a bad innings no matter how deconstructed the major pents get.

Above just my humbles, I love what all three do. I wish I'd been able to have achieved a fiftieth of what they have. Not quite sure what they put in the Thames Estuary water supply back in the day but must have been tone-tastic- guitario-flouroide or such like :)

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 18reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Much wisdom to @shugz
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Saw Page live in his prime - the thing with Zeppelin was you had to be there .. the volume, the atmosphere .. watching on YouTube isn't the same. These days the music schools and online lessons turn out indentikit guitarists who can play fast and in time but lack soul and passion. Give me the likes of Page in the 70's over today's bland poseurs.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Gotta  say that I saw Page and Plant at Earls Court on the Walking Into Clarksdale tour.  I was right near the front, close enough to get showered in the 4 gallons of sweat per minute Jimmy seems to put out.  The power generated by one man with an actually relatively thin guitar tone was unbelievable. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72888
    Fretwired said:
    Saw Page live in his prime - the thing with Zeppelin was you had to be there .. the volume, the atmosphere .. watching on YouTube isn't the same. These days the music schools and online lessons turn out indentikit guitarists who can play fast and in time but lack soul and passion. Give me the likes of Page in the 70's over today's bland poseurs.
    It's not the 1990s any more you know ;).

Today's bland poseurs can't even play fast and in time.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    ICBM said:
    Fretwired said:
    It's not the 1990s any more you know ;).

Today's bland poseurs can't even play fast and in time.
    Yes I can!! ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shugzshugz Frets: 770
    I blame today's drummers. Mine's an utter tossbag....

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11399
    I think that Page's "decline" proves a couple of things:

1) The years catch up with you, motor skills decline.
    2) That fact trhat he's till in the public eye almost 40 years after his last decent album (everything from In Through The Out Door onwards) proves that the elusive talent-originality combination has a limited lifespan before one or the other just goes.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6405
    Unledded was awesome !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Age has caught up with him I guess.

A 71 year old Page still plays better than me though!