Frank Gambale Guitar School

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Actually, just read further and it's too expensive for me:

I attended a webinar for those interested in the early bird special 
    and got a look at the pricing. The first course is called "spicing 
    up the blues", about 10.5 hours of video, for about $400 US. Yikes! 
    So, even more for people who sign up in a couple month's time.

A sweep picking course of similar length and many others are in the 
    can, presumably reworked LAMA curricula.

Does that seem expensive to anybody else?
    I haven't bought anything from Paul Gilbert, Martin Taylor, Jimmy 
    Bruno etc. so I'm not sure if that's in line with the other schools out there.

Sorry I don't remember the exact pricing. It varied depending on 
    whether you split the total amount up or paid the lump sum initially.

I'm torn. I love Frank's playing with Chik, and his Modes No More 
    Mystery got me out of relying on pentatonics as a rock player in the 
    1990's. His Chop Builder routine has done more for my technique than 
    just about anything...

I think I'll wait and see how it pans out and if the pricing is 
    adjusted. I'm more interested in the sweep picking course. If the 
    blues course runs for a year, the sweep picking course won't be out 
    until Oct. 2016.

Thoughts?

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33958
    What do you hope to get out of it?

• octatonic said:
    What do you hope to get out of it?
    I'm not going to sign up myself, just thought I would post for anyone here who might be interested.  :)

I'm sure Frank is a good teacher though, his early videos have a good sense of humour about them....I'm assuming Chopbuilder is tongue in cheek.  

I would like to see the lessons but, like I said, it's too expensive for me.  Tim Miller's offer better value IMO.  
  • I've been seriously tempted to enrol, but truthfully I'm mainly interested in the Sweep Picking course.
    I have a feeling the blues course might be a bit basic for me, without meaning to sound pompous. I don't want to drop a large chunk of cash on something I already know.

I think the opportunity to get video feedback from Frank will be invaluable though. I believe he's planning on doing monthly webinars where you can ask him questions etc.

I'll most likely wait for the Sweep course as that is right up my street, being a huge Gambale fan.
  • I've been seriously tempted to enrol, but truthfully I'm mainly interested in the Sweep Picking course.
    I have a feeling the blues course might be a bit basic for me, without meaning to sound pompous. I don't want to drop a large chunk of cash on something I already know.

I think the opportunity to get video feedback from Frank will be invaluable though. I believe he's planning on doing monthly webinars where you can ask him questions etc.

I'll most likely wait for the Sweep course as that is right up my street, being a huge Gambale fan.
    I signed up for the freebies with an email I use for stuff like that so I'll let you know if I hear anything.  Nothing came through yet though.
  • Thanks mate - I signed up ages ago too so don't worry about it.
    I was actually asked to beta test the course but that didn't end up happening (much to my disappointment).
  • Did the beta course not take place for some reason @MatthewShreddery?  
  • Being a big fan of Frank I heard very early on about his 'Definitive Sweep Picking Manual' (I think that's what it was going to be called) which was a book he was going to release.
    I emailed him enquiring about a release date for the book, and his management said that he was now working it into an online course instead of a book.
    They said that because I was one of the first people to enquire, would I like to beta test the course.
    I was happy to accept, but they never ended up contacting me again...
  • Being a big fan of Frank I heard very early on about his 'Definitive Sweep Picking Manual' (I think that's what it was going to be called) which was a book he was going to release.
    I emailed him enquiring about a release date for the book, and his management said that he was now working it into an online course instead of a book.
    They said that because I was one of the first people to enquire, would I like to beta test the course.
    I was happy to accept, but they never ended up contacting me again...
    Ah right I see.  Maybe you'll hear something soon.  
  • @MatthewShreddery you might have better luck if and when Troy Grady releases his Frank Gambale Cracking the Code interview.  
  • yea man that'd be awesome, but I think that blog was dated 2007 so I have a feeling it won't happen.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Do those italics in the OP signify anything, Binge? Did you go into a whole different voice there?
  • DLM said:
    Do those italics in the OP signify anything, Binge? Did you go into a whole different voice there?

hehe, I was quoting someone from a Yahoo guitar group.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Ah, righto. Gambale goes into some detail on his school in his podcast with Brian Sword, on the Double Stop.

I've not managed to get into his playing. Even when he goes crazy, I still don't dig it. I've got the Great Explorers and the live album, as well as his technique book and the original Speed Picking book.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3527
    Obligatory YT embed:

• Campest guitar instructional video ever.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7427
    Bit of a bump but did anyone ever sign up to this? I gasped when I saw the price, but then there's also a payment plan option. Can't decide which one is going to be the best. Target tones looks interesting, but so do a lot of others and at that price you can't really get a selection.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    DefaultM said:
    Bit of a bump but did anyone ever sign up to this? I gasped when I saw the price, but then there's also a payment plan option. Can't decide which one is going to be the best. Target tones looks interesting, but so do a lot of others and at that price you can't really get a selection.
    No mate, would love to but it's way too expensive for me.  I'm sure it's very popular though as Frank is an incredible player and has a great technique.

If you want to learn about sweep picking Troy has a great analysis on Frank's technique available for free on his channel.