Amp Demo Day - Nottingham, Saturday November 28th

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    fretmeister;876249" said:
    What's the midi thing for the Axe FX
    Brilliant is what it is. Turns the tweaking monster into something we could understand!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Its an FX-Units RAC12.

12 rotory midi controllers, which also have push and push & hold functions.  They have 16 pages (menus) available, but there are many ways of accessing them.  There is also an LED display showing what the knobs are assigned to, and their value.  When a rotory is turned this display changes to that of the knob with its value (large) then reverts to normal display.

I have page 1 set up for amp basic functions - as per the facia labels, being:

Drive, Bass, Mid, Trebble, Presence Depth, Master Volume (amp), Level, then 4 other regularly used parameters of input Trim, Overdrive (for amp models that have gain and OD), Dynamic Prescence and Dynamic Depth.

I also have assigned to the "push" function,  boots (on the drive knob), Cut (ion the Bass knob) Fat (on the mid knob) and bright (on the treble knob).  The Depth knob is assigned so when pushed, it shows the parameters assigned to the push function.

To changes "pages" I push and hold the knobs.  So furthest left accesses page 1, then moving right goes through pages 2,3,4,5,6,7 etc.

Page 2 is assigned to more in depth amp functions.  
    Page 3 is assigned to the 8 band EQ int he amp block (each knob is assigned to a freq slider).  
    Page 4 is my FX Mix page (each knob is the mix value for revers, delay, chorus, phaser, flanger, rotory, tremolo and compression. On this page, the other 4 rotories are assigned to my 2 drive blocks gain and tone
    Page 5 is my FX Level page.  Same assignments, but the 4 assigned to drive blocks Level and Mix.

Thats all I use - but in practice for live work the EQ, mix and level pages only get used at sound check (to match them to room and volume) and during the gig only page 1 gets used - which is pretty much the knobs you'd have on a real amp - so treat it like that.

Its harder to describe than it is to use....

Theres the link is you want to see it up close, and read a bit about it.

• Regards the Para EQ block -   It actually makes sense.  I knew a 4x12 had more thump than a 2x12 - and though my cab is ported to bring it closer, theres no compromise for cab volume.  I also knew that 4x12s have a mid scoop around 1Khz - so that shouldnt have been a shock either.

The changes make MUCH more difference on amps you would normally use a 4x12 with -and a little on more Fendery amps with a bit of drive/dirt.  On cleaner sounds its a subtle difference. Just seems to breath more - less congested.
  • darrenpdarrenp Frets: 116
    @darrenp The Kraken really was very versatile wasn't it? I was impressed by all the Victory's.
    I was surprised how versatile the Kraken is, and it's my amp!! Really liked channel one with the gain fairly low and then using the volume control on the guitar to control the break up. 

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24836
    That midi unit for the Axe FX is a brilliant idea!

I realise that most people who buy a Fractal will not be technophobes, but gig tweaking is always under severe time pressure and that might put people off a bit. That control unit is perfect to solve that issue.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1957
    So sorry to have missed this, I really hope V3 goes ahead in Feb :-)