Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How often do you play at the dusty end?

What's Hot
thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4444
edited October 2015 in Guitar
I'm always talking about guitar ergonomics, how easy it is to play at the high end on my PRS and how I found the Suhr a tad more difficult in that regard, and any single-cut guitar even more so.... but how often do you actually play up at the dusty end and how much of a consideration is high-end playability to you (and is sound or playability more important to you)?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9920
    Very rarely play beyond, I'd guess, the 17th fret. Dusty end accessibility simply isn't a consideration for me when buying. When buying it's a combination of sound, looks, and playability. Any one of those which is wrong would be a deal breaker.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Anything after 13 is unlucky ?
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7367
    more and moreso... and appreciating the harmonic tones of the guitars unplugged whilst doing so as I can hear how these will be enhanced once through the amp. A part of my playing that is now starting to make more sense -  at last...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28143
    12-17, absoutely. Beyond that, very rarely. That said, I generally prefer guitar with easy access - Strat, SG, CS336, Explorer. I think I'd get one very well with Firebirds too
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6220
    What! You're supposed to play past those two dots? Must try that sometime.
  • I made a conscious effort a year or so back to venture there more often. It's not as easy to play up high, but can make a great crescendo to a solo, if you can get great bends and vibrato going with a touch of harmonics.

Sound of a guitar is not as important as feel/playability for me ( as long as it's doesn't sound awful ).

• MossMoss Frets: 2409
    I'm frequently around the 20th fret, but more for harmonic noise as opposed to all out shredding
    Stop crying, start buying
  • Playability also edges it over sound for me
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Quite a bit when I do solos.
  • I find playing the bass strings at the dusty end to be interesting - a lot to be gained there!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Me digits are often up that end, but the result isn't always akin to an instrument being 'played'.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • vizviz Frets: 10828
    Isn't the dusty end the bit by the nut?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5115
    edited October 2015

Quite often. For solos I usually like to use 2 octaves for variety and as I play in A quite a bit, I'm up at the 20th pretty regularly.

I'll add that these days I'm mainly a Paul/tele player, but find that the inevitable fight against the cutaway lends a bit of urgency/grittiness to the tone that suits my style nicely. It's almost like you can hear the struggle going on - but in a good way.

;)

Edit: is that 1 octave? my theory is non existent. I mean if soloing in A, I tend to play phrases at the 5th and then again at the 17th.

• ourmaninthenorthourmaninthenorth Frets: 3418
    edited October 2015
    viz said:
    Isn't the dusty end the bit by the nut?

If it ain't between the 5th and 8th fret, well it's simply another country...

Plus, I'm a Les Paul player, any higher than the 8th affects the fulcrum, invariably I fall over...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Marshall_staxMarshall_stax Frets: 193
    edited October 2015
    I get up there now and again I guess. Never really have any accessibility issues as most of my collection are Ibbys and a PRS. It's a good point though, I've never stopped to think how I'd get on with LP. 

What's the general preference here between 22 & 24 frets?
    All the right notes, not always in the right order!
  • I find the frets are too close together up there, and you cant get any further across than the 3rd string, so I don't spend a lot of time there. If I go there it's for the climax of the solo, and I don't stay there long. I'm best off between the 7th and the 15th fret ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I get up there now and again I guess. Never really have any accessibility issues as most of my collection are Ibbys and a PRS. It's a good point though, I've never stopped to think how I'd get on with LP. 

What's the general preference here between 22 & 24 frets?
    I actually love the "scale" (?) of a 22 fret guitar like my Pro S4 - neck not too long, all very comfortable. But prefer how the heel on 24 fret guitars is that much lower down, aiding the ergonomics
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2739
    No money up the dusty end.

A very rare venture for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Unless it's a cover, then I can rarely be bothered :D