Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How often do you play at the dusty end?

What's Hot

Comments

• Marshall_staxMarshall_stax Frets: 193
    edited October 2015
    I get up there now and again I guess. Never really have any accessibility issues as most of my collection are Ibbys and a PRS. It's a good point though, I've never stopped to think how I'd get on with LP. 

What's the general preference here between 22 & 24 frets?
    I actually love the "scale" (?) of a 22 fret guitar like my Pro S4 - neck not too long, all very comfortable. But prefer how the heel on 24 fret guitars is that much lower down, aiding the ergonomics
    That's a good point, so do you think the choice between 22 & 24 is as much about ergonomics and comfort as it is about having the two extra frets to mess around on?

Interestingly, I've just realised that the Ibby I play the most is my JS1200, the only Ibby I own with 22 frets. 
    All the right notes, not always in the right order!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3766
    Never past 17th in reality -  and on my Jag that buzzes. My pork sausage fingers are not made for those tiny fret areas.

TBH most of the music I like is played lower down anyway.

Just as well really.
  • Yep, I sometimes play frets 23 & 24 but the main reason for me is the heel and body joint - all about the ergonomics for 24 fret guitars. 
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10551
    I'm playing more acoustic lately so vary rarely.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3441
    I don't often go past the 17th, although it does happen occasionally. I don't find access a problem on my 339, and I have short fat hands. I'm no shredder though and I suppose if I was up there more often or trying more gymnastics (which I can't do anyway!) I'd want a bit more space. My Schecter has no access problems at all.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    Neil said:
    Never past 17th in reality -  and on my Jag that buzzes. My pork sausage fingers are not made for those tiny fret areas.

TBH most of the music I like is played lower down anyway.

Just as well really.

Sounds like you could benefit from a MD Phillips conversion.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    Not very often especially these days now that I'm playing mostly acoustic.
    Never really liked the high squeaky notes.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7967
    edited October 2015
    20th fret on the 'b' string, played a few times over 2 bars, once in the whole album. Other than that rarely above the 12th.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11309
    tFB Trader
    Depends on the guitar ... on my flying V or 24 fret SG quite a lot. On my Ibanez single cut arch tops .... er never!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    edited October 2015
    All the time, all the way up to the 22nd, which is why I'm forced to discount all traditional Les Paul's and strats with 21 frets. I prefer neck throughs, or at least a sculpted heel.

Not because I'm a super shredder or anything, just that the songs I like mostly have some high widdly bits in the solos. Besides, I like guitars that are designed well enough to let you play all frets with ease. What's the point of having all those frets and then making some of them a struggle to play?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    edited October 2015
    All the way up until I run out of frets. I've sometimes run a fingernail up the top E in the hope of getting more, but it doesn't really work. Quite happy to play across the neck up there as well, especially on electric. The access on the Lemon Drop (22 frets) is pretty good, and the Red Special (24) is excellent. Also get up high on the thinner strings on acoustic (got a cutaway a while back which has helped a lot), and on a conventional classical.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12158
    jpfamps said:
    No money up the dusty end.

A very rare venture for me.
    I know, but there are quite a few top 10 players who throw little bit up there during a solo, and it does add a little something
    When playing my own stuff, I don't get up there - but playing a "famous" piece, I often find the original version goes up there - but not for long - perhaps that's the key (other than EVH, he never comes down from there does he?)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28356
    I like 22 fret guitars. I don't like 21 or 24. Needless to say I find myself up the dusty end. I'm quite happy to meander all over the fretboard with my insipid brand of improv.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    viz said:
    Isn't the dusty end the bit by the nut?

Yes, I ventured there once, luckily I got back to the proper end quickly.

\m/

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    underdog said:
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should :D

Wrong, just because you can, you definitely should.

:-B

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12736
    There was a song with my old band where I'd capo at the 12th and then tremolo pick arpeggiated chords - pseudo mandolin style.

I also use ebows a lot in my own music and find some interesting harmonic content up there.

So yes, I do play up that end a fair bit...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Rarely beyond the 17th. In our set, our singer loves to do "Don't Stop Believing" and there's a particular venue where I won't take my PRS. Getting that three-fret bend up to the high E from my Tele's 21st fret is a bit of a lottery.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8900
    How dusty? A lot of solos wander into the 12th to 17th frets region, and some rhythm chords too. 18th onwards is twice per night, on specific solos. I don't go there voluntarily because the tone in the high reaches is not edgy enough for my liking.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.