Mobile phone insurance

What's Hot
musicegbdfmusicegbdf Frets: 409
edited November 2013 in Off Topic
OK , idiot daughter number two has lost her new I phone 5 . Three months old , and it replaced her Blackberry that was 6 months old that she dropped down the toilet.

I am sure you get the picture. I have covered her contract for the Blackberry (I was on PAYG) , and now made a claim on the house insurance for the Iphone , and they have been great and paying out a fair price to replace it. but.... I have said no more ! I am not prepared to screw up my claims history on house insurance again so I am going to tell to buy her own insurance....

There is the rub , all I see is horror stories about them taking the premium but having ridiculous get out's in the small print so they don't have to pay out.

I did see that for theft on one policy there has to be physical violence and pick pockets were not covered ! From what I have heard that you are only covered if you never leave the house and never enter into a room that has water in it , and must have the floors covered in cushions....  
Well almost.

I am sure there are lot's of horror stories , but any good companies out there ?

Thks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    some bank accounts include it for "free"  may be worth checking
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Dunno about the phone but I met a guy in prison who could organise a replacement daughter. Let me know if you need me to contact him.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The bank bundles generally are only worth it if you use all the services- RAC, travel insurance etc, but definitely worth looking into
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    The bank bundles generally are only worth it if you use all the services- RAC, travel insurance etc, but definitely worth looking into
    they're "free" and included in the account type (wanted for the free overdraft/extension)  never used them tho
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1115
    Just out of interest, did you try locating it with find my iphone?

http://www.apple.com/icloud/find-my-iphone.html

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • our bank account gives us Green Flag which we have used numerous times over the past 5 odd years... and mobile phone insurance which I had to use a month ago, Galaxy Note 2 broken screen 5 minutes phone call £50 excess and next day new Galaxy Note 2 arrives.
  • wibble;81340" said:
    Just out of interest, did you try locating it with find my iphone?

no we didn't we got it locked with o2. Will it still work now she has a new sim with her number. Like the idea of a replacement daughter. Will get her to look into the bank accounts
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    edited November 2013
    It is a total minefield, having sold for reputable companies and some less so reputable there is one common theme, which is to read the small print and know how to "put" each claim. 

As bad as that sounds, it pays for the consumer, the people taking the calls literally don't care either way over the phone and try to help in the stores. Well that's my experience at least.

Customer: "I'm not sure what happened, my phone just doesn't work now."

Me: *checks phone* "Ah, I'm very sorry but there's water damage here."

C: "Oh no, that must've been months ago!"

M: "Ah your policy covers water damage from a specified accident in the last 48 hours, so it is excellent that you have just verified the complete detail of your fall in the street this morning where your phone fell in a puddle."

C: "Eh?"

Me: "Just shut up, give me your £30 excess and take your brand new Samsung Galaxy."

Just another daily snapshot.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28087
    Deijavoo said:
    It is a total minefield, having sold for reputable companies and some less so reputable there is one common theme, which is to read the small print and know how to "put" each claim. 

As bad as that sounds, it pays for the consumer, the people taking the calls literally don't care either way over the phone and try to help in the stores. Well that's my experience at least.

Customer: "I'm not sure what happened, my phone just doesn't work now."

Me: *checks phone* "Ah, I'm very sorry but there's water damage here."

C: "Oh no, that must've been months ago!"

M: "Ah your policy covers water damage from a specified accident in the last 48 hours, so it is excellent that you have just verified the complete detail of your fall in the street this morning where your phone fell in a puddle."

C: "Eh?"

Me: "Just shut up, give me your £30 excess and take your brand new Samsung Galaxy."

Just another daily snapshot.
    I didn't realise that Carlsberg had started doing phones now ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That is interesting Dejavoo . Getting hold of the small print before buying I suspect is not easy. Though I guess it is also how the small print is interpreted. Like in ypu example . Under my house insurance no such issue , but cannot afford another claim or my pemiums will gp up..
  • musicegbdf;81518" said:
    [quote="wibble;81340"]Just out of interest, did you try locating it with find my iphone?

no we didn't we got it locked with o2. Will it still work now she has a new sim with her number. Like the idea of a replacement daughter. Will get her to look into the bank accounts [/quote]

It'll still work - junst sign in with whatever itunes account was used to setup the phone and it'll do the rest if it's still got battery-life and signal. If it's running iOS7 then no-one can wipe it without inputting the itunes password either, keylock or not.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    My oldest boy had a phase of losing/breaking phones at the mid teen stage. My solution was to give him a cheap plastic does the essentials phone until he proved he was worthy of walking about with a £400+ device in his pocket. They have no divine right to an iBerrydroid and £75 gets a phone that does intenets, text and calls but doesn't buy them kudos in their social circle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have insurance with my Orange contract (the telecommunications network, not the amplifier company) and they replaced stuff the next day.  I'm talking about washed mobile phones, cracked screens where some fat oaf has sat on them.  There is usually a £25 excess; however, I've got my phone back.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    musicegbdf;81796" said:
    That is interesting Dejavoo . Getting hold of the small print before buying I suspect is not easy. Though I guess it is also how the small print is interpreted. Like in ypu example . Under my house insurance no such issue , but cannot afford another claim or my pemiums will gp up..
    In all honesty, it should be pretty easy to get hold of.