Is this OK?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24897584

I read some time ago of a chap who lived close to a UHF tv transmitter. Coils were found in his loft, he'd been using the current induced in the coils (suitably modified) to power electrical devices in his home. IIRC he was done for theft (of some kind or another) although at the time I was unsure about how they'd make it stick.

So if you have one of these new devices and live near a phone mast, wouldn't you get done the same way now there is a precedent?
"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    I am sure they will find a way to prosecute but if it is through microwaves that are not actually being used for power generation it may be difficult to prove.

If they are not using these microwaves to generate power themselves an they are "stray" signals then I cannot see how they can prove anything is stolen.

My best guess would be that law as it stands may not allow for this kind of thing, a bit like illegal downloads in the beginning.

But as I say I am sure they will find a way and try to monetise the whole process probably successfully and a remedy will be on the statute books.

In further news expect air to be patented and charged for if they get a conviction.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Let them fly. This kind of innovative behaviour should be positively encouraged.

• Let them fly. This kind of innovative behaviour should be positively encouraged.
    I'd have thought so. I didn't see what was wrong with charging batteries or running devices off rectified & regulated UHF-induced current.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself