How to get a Firebird pickup into my Gretsch Duo Jet?

I've been playing with the dynasonic pickups for a while now and I'm starting to think that they're just not for me. 

Being a big fan of Neil Young I was thinking about getting an Oil City Winterizer for the bridge, but I can't seem to find the dimensions for the dynasonic pickup routes (and don't really have anything around to help me measure them myself...) and I'd rather not have to damage the top on the guitar to mount it. 

Anyone happen to have them laying around or know where I might be able to find them? My google skills seem to have failed me miserably.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    edited November 2015
    TV Jones has Dynasonic dimensions on the website.

Looks like a soapbar P-90 (or mini humbucker surround) will drop right in.
  • I'd give @TheGuitarWeasel a buzz and see what kind of custom thing he can come up with. FB pickups are small so shouldn't be too crazy to fit into a different chassis.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11149
    tFB Trader
    I'd give @TheGuitarWeasel a buzz and see what kind of custom thing he can come up with. FB pickups are small so shouldn't be too crazy to fit into a different chassis.
    He's right ... their size is really convenient ... I've even fitted one in a Filtertron shell ... er .... a sort of Fire Filter or a Tron Bird :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• JadedJaded Frets: 127
    Thanks for the heads up on the TV Jones site, somehow I managed to completely skip over them! 

It seems as though the FB pickup is pretty much the same size as a Dyna minus the "ring" section around it? 

I'll send you a PM @TheGuitarWeasel and see what can be done!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73157
    edited November 2015
    TV Jones make Filtertrons in a Dynasonic-size casing, so it's almost certain you (or more accurately TheGuitarWeasel :) ) can do the same thing with a Firebird pickup.

For what it's worth I've sometimes wondered about whether you could get closer to a 'sound-alike Old Black replica' by starting with a Duo-Jet rather han a Les Paul - particularly as they feed back much better at low volume - so I would be interested as to how this turns out.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8503
    Appreciate this is a 5-year bump but @Jaded , did you ever do this?