Neck profiles on Squier Jazzmasters?

Hi all,
I'm a (mainly slim necked) Les Paul player but I've long been tempted to own a JM (ancient Tom Verlaine devotion) though I presently can't go beyond a Squier price.
I'm wondering which Squier JM model has the shallowest neck profile - I'd decided to find a Mascis but now I read in another thread that the neck is quite chunky. I'm not in a position to try any so any advice would be much appreciated.

PS; very pleased to discover the new forum, I wasn't a huge poster on the old one, though I bought a couple of guitars from other members (poor attempt at reintroduction after absence- lol)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    You should get over to the Offset Guitars forum. All the gen you need from offset obsessives!
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    edited November 2013
    I've got a VM and the neck isn't that big.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • I agree with Bucket

The JM squier does have a real nice satin neck on it too
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 935
    I've got a jm jazzmaster, and a vm jag. The neck is considerably thinner/shallower on the vm jag. In fact, it's just about as thin as any fender neck i've had.
  • Ah, Cheers all; looks like I should be looking at a VM Jag instead, then. I like the P90s on the Jazz, but I could always put some in a Jag... And I note it has a 22nd fret. too. ;)
    Thanks for the advice!

davejm said: Ah, Cheers all; looks like I should be looking at a VM Jag instead, then. I like the P90s on the Jazz, but I could always put some in a Jag... And I note it has a 22nd fret. too. ;)
    Thanks for the advice!

Beware! Standard Jazzmaster pickups are
    not P90s. They are wider and flatter but are single coils.The ones in the Squier J Mascis JM
    are P90s and are noticeably beefier and less open sounding. 
    If you go down the Jag route you may be better off with some hotter Jag pickups (such as Seymour Duncan Hot Jag or Quarterpounders) as they don't require the body to be routed. I've tried the quarter pound ones (though I wasn't into the loss of top). Oh, and the Jag is much toppier than a Jazzmaster.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3477
    Or get the squire lag they did with two humbuckers and change them out?
  • gusman2x said:
    I've got a jm jazzmaster, and a vm jag. The neck is considerably thinner/shallower on the vm jag. In fact, it's just about as thin as any fender neck i've had.
    That's interesting, because the VM Jag I had had the biggest Fender neck I've owned besides the Baja neck on my Tele; certainly more than my CP60's Strat and MIM Tele necks. I guess it's worth trying them in person before buying if it's a big deal.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    It's worth trying them anyway to make sure you don't get the Friday afternoon one, too.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3477
    Or get the squire lag they did with two humbuckers and change them out?
  • A lot of food for thought - I'm certainly much the wiser and more cautious now. Thankyou, sirs. :)