Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The singing thread

What's Hot

Comments

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited March 2016

I've been practicing diction really and trying to get rid of smokers throat (Generally trying to get a purer Canadian tone) finishing eating pizza.  I'm not really worried about range anymore.  Couple of Beck songs 2:52.

https://soundcloud.com/user360616451/buck

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

I wish I had the guts to scream at the top of my voice to see if I can hit some more notes.  The truth is that I don't and honestly, the neighbours, knowing me would probably call the men in white coats or at the very least would probably come over to see if something was wrong with me.  To be locked away is my worst nightmare.  In actual fact I donno if I'm even capable of screaming, I didn't even scream when some bloke tried to stab me with a carving knife, I wrestled it off him and nearly ended up stabbing him through the eyeball with the rush of it, but it's just not my style. I think I'II just focus on getting a smoother speaking tone.  Repressed.  Couldn't even speak until I was 6.  Had to go to speech therapy at 10.  Fuck sakes.  I am kind of intrinsically aware though that this music lark, your expression and level of communication, it is all about your tone of delivery  though and not so much about what you have to say or the notes you can achieve, which makes sense to me at least, using the analogy of guitar playing guitar or any other instrument where technical players I don't rate compared to lesser players with tone.

Excuse me whilst I just open the door and go on a therapy session

Fuuuuuck Offf!

It's all about finding the acceptable tone though eh, which is probably wrong as it's the energy which translates better anyway.

OK. It does all come down to range after all and what you're born with at least to start with. 

I've been looking at some live stuff of Nirvana and he struggles to put out a decent growly low note on 'Mood' and 'Food' on the verse in 'In Bloom' as his low range is tailing off.  Where as when I try and sing the chorus it comes out like a load of barking seals and walruses and it doesn't matter if I shout or scream or anything, it's just beyond my basic high range capabilities.

Ass.

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    @Drew_fx did you do that screaming coach thing?
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    hugbot said:
    @Drew_fx did you do that screaming coach thing?
    This Thursday guv!
    edited March 2016

This is gonna come back as some serious Billy Corgan ha ha.  Hope you can post the results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IDz8DLMWOM

Some ace screaming

Whilst I agree you can increase your range, I think to say that range doesn't exist is a total fallacy.  Tell it to the Eagles with Randy Meiser singing lead on Take it to the Limit and doing some even more amazing falsetto and they were all singers.
    No-one said range doesn't exist.

Oh, I must have got the wrong end of the stick then.  I thought you were going on about your teacher telling you baritone, tenor, bass, soprano and all that is a bit of a crock?

How'd the shouting go?

edited April 2016

I was reading...ha...reading that most singers sing at loud talking volume to save their vocals, night after night. 

Also that your natural chest voice is where you speak.  Well for me that's definitely around F2 to Eflat2.  I can hit an A1 now quite easily...Ace..

I've been listening to Smashing Pumpkins all evening and have them in my head, so grabbed the guitar and thought I'II try one of their tunes, it's bad, really dire, but this is maximum head voice, in fact most of it is in head voce, sadly even the lower bits, it's not supposed to be good and I was still working it out.  It's getting a little bit higher, slowly.  Basically I'm still fucked though, but it's why I can vaguely relate to how Billy Corgan sings and I like the way he turns it into something he owns.  This demonstrates my problems, it's just range really and I suppose a bit of the transition into head voice and not pushing my chest up.  Later on you can see where I break into head voice.  I need to hire a teacher for a few hours at least to tell me where it's at.

This is just an attempt to fully sing at the top of my head voice.  That is all really.  And the fact that everyone finds it hard transitioning from chest to head, but whilst I don't have an especially deep voice, I am a few tones lower.  That is all.  I am beginning to bore myself a bit.  It's just so frustrating though eh.  It being in your head, but not coming out at the right register eh.  Still something to practice on.  You can hear in the next bit, although it's pissing about, how much richer my chest voice actually is, just it's too low.  So I relate to Billy Corgan for sure.

https://soundcloud.com/user360616451/problems

Don't mean to be rude Drew, but I do see you being a bit different from your standard mixed voice singer. 

The more I sing the more I realise singing voices with any longevity ARE kind of related to talking voices, in fact they are very similar and you can hear great or tones or large sounds in the talking voices of great singers.  You have a naturally pinched and deep sounding voice anyway so the head voice stuff is always going to be thinner at the top end, rather than gritty, that s is just a fact of having a deep voice, unless you scream and ruin your voice, which you aren't doing because you've had lessons how to do it properly, you are not going to be able to give a chesty scream as people with higher ranges can.

If Corgan hasn't been able to nail it through all these decades, although his latter stuff is a bit different.what hope do the rest of us have of being Bon Jovi?  He started off with a deep voice and one day started using a higher register, but it still isn't a mainstream voice even to this day.

Aside from developing good backing vocals obviously,  I would seriously try and develop a voice and sound of your own and think outside of the box and work with what you have because I'm sure it would work really well, especially with metal and you have more than a few tones on me if you really want to sing lead.  That is what I'm gonna do now as sadly I realise I am never going to be Beyoncé and my voice cuts before I get even halfway to where I want to be.

It's just like a guitar with certain pickups and a certain amp, you just have to experiment until you find something that really fits I reckon.  So it is practice, but with all sorts of things, just like playing guitar really I suppose.

I'm still going to seek out lessons for this supported head voice thing and learn projection though eh as I really don't know what I'm doing and still try.  But if I sing an octave below what everyone else does and it goes thin after that, fuck it, that is what I am going to do, I'm not well rounded enough to be a good singer.

edited April 2016

Just seen the exegesis shouting track.  That is good.  Also the vocal are loads better than mine on the other tracks and reference has already been made to shouting properly.  So I will but out of this thread now, stop posting after 12 beers off the cuff as I usually do, start practicing and post something when I think it's decent enough to listen to and watch on from a far.

Still loads of E4 in that melody is impressive on my personal scale, even if it is wobbly and possibly an Eflat4 as the guitar may be down half a tone.

Sambostar said:

Just seen the exegesis shouting track.  That is good.  Also the vocal are loads better than mine on the other tracks and reference has already been made to shouting properly.  So I will but out of this thread now, stop posting after 12 beers off the cuff as I usually do, start practicing and post something when I think it's decent enough to listen to and watch on from a far.

Still loads of E4 in that melody is impressive on my personal scale, even if it is wobbly and possibly an Eflat4 as the guitar may be down half a tone.

No need to butt out I don't think. Just get practicing and work on making some progress, whatever those internal demons are saying to you. Tell them to shush.

Something I worked on recently:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/630473/Comodify.mp3?dl

I was just jamming around with a few ideas, so it's a bit rough. I think I can do it better, and less squeezed.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2016

Yep the squeeze, but deeper voices do make better tones apparently so I read so keep heart.

You need to develop a mixed voice so The Treebird Tree Kerri Ho on YouTube tells me, she says throw some 'As if you are calling to someone across the street into it as well'. 

Me, I'm still trying to sing in a high head voice full stop, I actually worked out that I yawn with an F4,  but the trick is remembering how to do it consistently, it's like learning a forward roll on the banjo, it's just against all instinct.  I have found tonight that it's easier if I just cry/shout it (Not actual shouting) without pronouncing the syllables, kind of like a severely deaf from birth person talks or maybe a severely retarded person would and then work on feeling in the diction and words later.  It's much easier to feel your way around the tone and relax as well then as well and experiment different places. Although in retrospect, I suppose I'm doing a variation of what you would be taught anyway.  Sounds and that, rather than diction.

The singer I sing with actually has the same trouble, it's all head voice and although she can hit the notes at the top of her range bang on, we did a Kelly Clarkson number, which The Treebird also covers but it comes out squeezed and thin in only her head voice, does sounds a bit kack to be honest, but it goes to show that it's neither a sex nor range thing.

The shouting was really good though, I didn't think anything was on that track, then some bloke starts shouting 'Wrong way', I was like eh?  'Wrong way'  WTF?  'Wrong way'..nope. I thought I was hallucinating for a moment and that I was actually really driving and I'd run over someone for a second.  Primally powerful is the shout. Can you combine that with your head voice?

I find talking all day in a different voice or doing impressions and experimenting a bit tonally helps.  Even a scots accent or Scouse accent throws your voice around in different places so it's handy as something to learn.  Same with trying to impersonate singers to an extent, of you are retarded like me, it's like learning guitar.

It's hard though eh.

Yeah I like the ambience, I think it's a bit more mixed voice than it was before, but yeah, you are right, you could do better. I'd say it's better than me, but that is kind of meaningless.  lol.  You are still singing a bit how you were taught I guess and it's full and stuff, just a bit too West End stageshow still and I what I mean is that the projection doesn't change dynamics much at all.  I hear that more than it being squeezed, or maybe that is what you mean.  Kind of like the singing version of 'I see dead people'.  Loads better though.  It is purely psychosomatic though, even how we speak, it's not like anyone is genetically defective in their vocal chords or anything and I'm slowly realising that and that is the biggest hurdle.

edited April 2016
    Sam, yes it is hard. But you gotta keep going. With a really low larynx position I can hit an F4:
    http://picosong.com/Nucs/

That's A2-F4. A range of 21 notes - an octave and 9 notes. Pretty consistently though as soon as I try F#4, G4, or G#4, my larynx rises, I push too much air, and I sound strained. I spared you the pain of listening to those by cutting them off the recording!

What's fucking annoying about that is the track 'Passing' I wrote with the band uses D#4, D4, F4, and G4. *slams head on desk*
    edited April 2016

So you're a twat then?  This is my low larynx position dehydrated after work with 13 Carlsbergs, no lunch and pizza again for tea.  You got to experiment and impersonate.  I like to hear weaknesses, makes us human and it's how we learn.  I'II be practicing that though thanks.  That said and done, problem is, at the top of the range, it's difficult to experiment, other than get it out at all.

I think that's a Bflat 3 not a 4.  But still it's uncomfortable for me off the cuff.  It's not the point, the point is experimenting with sound. You could kill that song.  You should try much differnet stuff.

So my easy range is around B1 or C1 to F3 like I said, why does everyone say if you practice you can get higher?  Because you just can't, at least not well at any rate.  I can't sing an F4 FFS.  BUt it doesn't matter, experimenting I reckon, like guitar eh.  Also highly shit.

https://soundcloud.com/user360616451/bollocks

edited April 2016

Edit, promised myself I wouldn't do that anymore.

I was thinking about this deep vs higher register.  Remember Skid Row?  Doesn't stick does it.  Deeper voices rule.
    edited April 2016

This singing lark is easy, I just hit a B4......erm in falsetto and that is the limit of falsetto, so in that respect you could say it is absolute.  They'll never know the difference.

I wish.  Bloody idiot.  What I don't understand is that my falsetto is luder than my head and chest voice, that's not right is it?  Or am I just reserved?

I wish the prick who keeps calling me and leaving voicemails telling Andrew there are ready meals in the fridge would leave me alone.

I think this is my most excellent lazy masterpiece yet.

https://soundcloud.com/user360616451/arseholes

edited April 2016

I think the point I am trying to make, whilst everyone will condone the fact I can't sing for nuts, is that you have to experiment outside the box a bitt. Axl is really a high baritone but he puts on a deep speaking voice and has a rich and unpinched vocal chord.  But the point is, he experimented for years  You have to break way from that West End pure vocal style shyte and get crap ad so do I.

Jesus Christ my rantings are like canister cans of spray crap that flows so smooth but piles up and up inside.  I wish I could sing.  Bugger.