Unplugged electric guitar comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8XWnkK8aKQ

Found this video on youtube, thought it was interesting to hear a recorded comparison of how different some electric guitars sound from each other acoustically.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34307
    It is kinda interesting but IMHO there is little correlation between the acoustic response of an electric guitar and how it will sound through a variety of amplifiers.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7973
    edited November 2013
    octatonic said:
    It is kinda interesting but IMHO there is little correlation between the acoustic response of an electric guitar and how it will sound through a variety of amplifiers.

Yeah, there are too many other variables to list that will have a greater impact.

But I've sat and compared lots of guitars of the same type before and usually come to prefer the denser, punchier sounding ones to the lightweight 'hollow' sounding ones.  Could well be a feel thing, but when A/B testing in shops I've often found the flyweight 'hollow' sounding guitars not to sound right for me.

My CU22 is the first guitar that I've found with the right feel response and a light weight, but that might well just be achieved through a slim body.  I just wasn't convinced by the chambered Les Paul Standards a few years ago vs the weight relieved and solid ones either.  Those chambered LPs just didn't feel punchy enough to play or girthy enough to listen to through an amp in direct comparison with ones with more wood (and a less hollow tonality acoustically).

It might be mostly a feel thing with my observations though, rather than a sound one.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1542
    My 52 tele  solid has good acoustics.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12248

I love the chambered guitars - personal preferences differ I guess

I like my solid ones too, but the more recent hollow acquisitions have really added something, the way they just pickup a bit of acoustic feedback, and add a bit of air....