Native Komplete Audio 6......Questions?

What's Hot
I've decided I'm going to dive in and buy the Komplete Audio 6 Interface. I'm totally new to recording, I've been putting it off for ages, but now I have my new Laptop (Core i5 and 8GB RAM), I have no more excuses.

Only thing is, I can't budget for Studio Monitors(and don't really need them), so will just go for Headphones to start with. This is uncharted territory as I have no idea what the difference is between the Sennheiser Headphones (that weren't cheap) I have for listening to my music and the Headphones used for recording?

I can't spend a ton of money on headphones, but also don't want inadequate ones. Suggestions on a good affordable set?

I've also checked out the N.Instruments website and it seems the Interface is compatible with Windows 8 (mine is 8.1), although the shops selling it don't specify Windows 8 on the system requirements.

I think @Snap recommended me this a while back, your input welcome, Snap. Does the Komplete Elements package have the Guitar Rig Software that has the full set of Amp Models, as I think there is a version that only has the Jump (Marshall) Amp Model?

Anyone else with this Interface feel free to stick your 2p in.

Thanks.
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    hi mate,

The interface is a cracker. I'm very pleased with it. No latency, good sounds, lots of inputs/outputs, rock solid build quality too.

AS for the software it comes with, I'm not too sure, as i didn't install it, cos I have NI Komplete. It has a stripped back version of Komplete, Elements I think. SO this will be the Kontakt player (which is great) and a set of sample sounds, certianly enough for starters. The Guitar Rig will be a stripped back version I'd guess, but again, will be enough to start. All the software you get with any interface is a pared down version of the full version.

Have a look on the NI website.

It will install fine on W8. Incidentally, why don't you upgrade 8 to 10 - its better, and its free.

Headphones - I have a pair of AKG 271 MkII. Very good. The difference between your hifi headphones and phones for recording are that the recording phones are totally flat - they don't colour sound at all. What this means is this: hi fi headphones add tone to sound - that could be more bass, rounded highs, scooped mids, etc. They do it to make the listening experience more refined, less obtrusive and just more comfortable, and also to attempt to render all music types in a good way.

Recording headphones do away with all that, with the purpose of reproducing your recorded audio as honestly and as accurately as possible. What that means in reality is hyper clarity and quite a flat sound. It allows you to hear a lot more - so you should be able to hear as much of the frequency spectrum as clearly as possible. They are more detailed, and certainly allow you to hear any ecording glitches, mistakes etc.

This means that if you record and mix a track using hi fi headphones, you may undercook or overcook certain sounds. A lot of these headphones are quite bass heavy, so you end up lowering your bhottom end too much if you mix with them.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @Snap

Totally understand the headphones thing. Windows 10 have thought about it, but see a lot of dislike for it. I don't mind the Windows 8.1 version, if the Windows 10 is similar, I might upgrade.

I have this habit of always expecting issues regarding anything Technological :-)

I think this is why I procrastinate so much.
    I went from 8.1 to 10. It is faster and has a much smaller footprint in terms of disk space, which was a factor for me as my OS in on a SSD so not a lot fo spare space.

You lose all that tiles nonsense too, puts it in a smaller screen.

IMO its a lot better, smoother. 8 seemd to have some of the bloat that Vista had. TBH 7 was fine!

I know exactly what you mean on expectations from tech. Every time!
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638

I have had a KA6 for 3 years now and cannot praise it to highly. I have also just upped one of my desktop PCs to ten and am going to install the KA6 10 drivers later today or the morrow. Anything I should know Snap?

Headphones: Two basic types needed for recording. Closed back for use when tracking so the sound does not "squeak" into a live mic. They also give good isolation, some better than others.

Open backed types are generally more accurate and are better for monitoring and deciding mixes, Mind you, MANY people in the industry say it is nigh on impossible to do a really first class mix on cans, no matter how good!

I don't really agree that "hi fi" headphones are "sweetened" well, not as sweeping statement. ALL reproducers have flaws! The more you pay, as a rule, the fewer the flaws but to improve on £50-100 cans you have to spend a LOT more dosh.

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83 said:

I have had a KA6 for 3 years now and cannot praise it to highly. I have also just upped one of my desktop PCs to ten and am going to install the KA6 10 drivers later today or the morrow. Anything I should know Snap?

Headphones: Two basic types needed for recording. Closed back for use when tracking so the sound does not "squeak" into a live mic. They also give good isolation, some better than others.

Open backed types are generally more accurate and are better for monitoring and deciding mixes, Mind you, MANY people in the industry say it is nigh on impossible to do a really first class mix on cans, no matter how good!

I don't really agree that "hi fi" headphones are "sweetened" well, not as sweeping statement. ALL reproducers have flaws! The more you pay, as a rule, the fewer the flaws but to improve on £50-100 cans you have to spend a LOT more dosh.

Dave.

Thanks for the extra info @ecc83

I might consider the upgrade, obviously your Interface works fine with it. Was just wondering though, if I did upgrade to 10, just how much stuff on my PC I would have to re-do(My Music etc) or reload or re-download or reformat, preferences etc?

Would I have to start with a blank canvas, sorry, not very technical I know :-)

On upgrading 8.1 to 10, everything worked fine, didn't have to reinstall anything.
  • Snap said:
    On upgrading 8.1 to 10, everything worked fine, didn't have to reinstall anything.

Cheers mate.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11947
    one of the best USB interfaces, especially for guitar
    low latency
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2980
    Another KA6 user here. Great interface, the only very minor issue is that you can't direct monitor inputs 3&4. You can monitor 1&2 direct and you can monitor all inputs via DAW. It's a non issue but you may read about it on interweb forums as the labeling implies direct monitoring of 3&4 which annoyed some people (what they mean is you can direct monitor the OUTPUTS 1&2 / or 3&4, which you can).

It really is a brilliant bit of kit. The bundled software is also top notch. You get Komplete Elements which includes guitar rig Elements: 6 amps; 19 cabs & 27 effects. 6 Reaktor soft synths, plus some other stuff.  Drivers are rock solid, I run with 5.7ms latency no problems with my e-drums (where you can really notice). The direct monitoring on 1&2 is, of course, zero latency but if you want to process your signals you can't do this so buffer latency is important. For the money it is the best low latency device. You are looking at RME (++£'s) for anything better.

I also got cubase LE7 with mine which I upgraded to Elements for a couple of quid extra. useful if you need the extra features but LE is good enough on it's own.

It's a 4in/4out device (for similar money you will get 2 in 2 out) plus SPDIF in/out which is useful if you need it. 48v phantom power and enough gain on the pre-amps to drive sensitive ribbons mics (not all comparable interfaces have this). Preamps thremselves are transparent and excellent quality. Midi in/out as well.

Oh and a big volume knob, which sounds twee but oh so useful. I wouldn't have minded a second headphone out but that's only for when I want 2 people to monitor at the same time which is not very often, I use a splitter.

Highly recommended. Hope this helps you decide.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2980
    The best bang per buck if you want to go with headphone monitoring is to get Sonarworks calibration software and a pair of bundled cheap headphones. The software basically takes a profile of your cans and flattens the profile so you get zero colouration, but they sell the software complete with a set of headphones with a bespoke profile. They appear to have a choice of headphones available now.

http://store.sonarworks.com/collections/headphone-calibration

More info on how it works & pros/cons here.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may15/articles/sonarworks-reference.htm

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • Thanks for that @blobb

Lots of handy info for me to keep referring back to. Didn't realise all those Amp, Cab and Effects models came with the Komplete Elements, just thought you got one or two.
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    +1 for Windows 10 easily beating 8.1