The Sum Of The Parts - BYO Guitar vs Secondhand

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• If you want to have a go, but want a guitar relatively soon, spend the money on a used one, then acquire bits and bobs for a build as you go. Swamp ash bodies can be had relatively cheap from boo boo guitars on eBay, necks are all about keeping an eye open. Then, when you get the body, wudtone/oil/spray it, and build up, rather than dropping all the money at once. That way, it's a learning experience plus you already have a guitar.

I've had to save up for about 8 months for my build. I'll have the money by the end of December,but iit's worth it. Probably.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Bang for buck? Buy used. Bear in mind this also means it'll have more resale value.

Fun? Build your own. Get things exactly how you want. Want a trem and three humbuckers on a tele? Go for it (you're a monster, but it's your call).

It's about what's most important, really. I built my own tele deluxe, and I'm still trying to get it just right. It'll probably never be "finished" but it was enormous fun.

I'd echo what @ThePrettyDamned said. My tele cost about £40 for the neck and body. BooBooGuitars are great for cheap stuff.
  • I went to Fretwireds gaff last week to playa few guitars and shoot the breeze played his very nice Godin jazz bought new I assume and a refurbed Epi Dot which has to me a gorgeous sound He can tell what was done but super sound We wants it precious we wants it
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748

Let's start with using a Telecaster as a simple build.

I'm currently have around £300 in my GAS fund and I am flirting with the idea of buying a good body and neck and piece by piece building my own.

Financially which do you feel offers more bang for buck - building your own from pre-cut parts etc. or purchasing second-hand and maybe upgrading?

Do the guys on here that put together their own do it solely for the enjoyment,  challenge and having something unique or do you feel you are getting a greater instrument for the financial outlay?

At that kinda level, I don't see self build as the way to go. Self-build is the way to go when you want to create your custom guitar and for it to be as good as it gets. The most resonant / sustain tone handmade quality of hardware/ pickups. Your cost to do that with top wood is nearer 7-900 quid depending on spec.   etc IMHO this offers potentially a far superior instrument, max emotional value and years of more playing satisfaction for a lot less money than say a Fender Custom Shop guitar. Once you have experienced quality, light wood , handmade guitar you are never going back to mass produced , poly covered laminated American Standard's etc ( regardless of upgrades )  You can't put a price on the potential value of the skills/knowledge you will develop.  
    On the other hand, if that £900 guitar is the first one you put together you're learning on parts which are pretty expensive to replace if you make a mistake. The first one I've done came in somewhere 300-400 (wudtone finish, thanks!), and I didn't have any absolute disasters, but ended up resetting the neck twice before I was happy and nearly destroyed the bridge pickup (not the first time I've installed pickups either, but tele bridge plates are something else).
    Used a guitarbuild body and mighty-mite neck (actually fret finish pretty good), all parts bought new (2nd hand probably cheaper, but takes longer and maybe less choice), put the whole lot in a spreadsheet while planning (including the P&P charges, can be quite a chunk of the total) to see if it was doable in-budget.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11990
    tFB Trader
    I've usually gone the hybrid route ... buy a guitar to upgrade ... then end up by upgrading everything including the body and neck! It then becomes a gradual and painless process. I have a Strat that has been with me for ten years ... it's definitely the same guitar because I've honed it over time ... but the only bits that are original are the strap buttons and pickguard screws!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• andypwudtoneandypwudtone Frets: 287
    edited November 2013
    I agree. It makes sense to do exactly what you have done as a means to develop the skill, confidence etc to use the best wood/parts, if you then wish to build a high value custom guitar. I would also think you are likely to recover the money on the cheaper parts etc selling them separate on ebay aswell.