Advice on mobile setup

I'm upgrading my interface, primarily for mobile recording so need multi channel. For my budget of £600, I have narrowed it down to a Focusrite 18i20 and a Focusrite Octopre for 16 ins and outs.

Any thoughts/other recommendations?

Cheers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Consider the Behringer ADA8200 over the Octopre. I know Behringer gear has a reputation but the ADA8000 was very decently rated and the ADA8200 is an improvement on the former model. 

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I literally just got a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20. It's bloody brilliant.
  • Consider the Behringer ADA8200 over the Octopre. I know Behringer gear has a reputation but the ADA8000 was very decently rated and the ADA8200 is an improvement on the former model. 

Yeah, the ADA8000 has a great reputation - it's one of the few bits of Behringer gear that does. Cheap, reliable and does what it says on the tin - that's why you find them in studios and venue desks the world over.
    <space for hire>
  • I use that setup, 18i20 and Octopre mk II.

I like it - the only thing that bugs me is sometimes when I switch both on the sync goes it internal, when it should be ADAT.  This takes 5 seconds to check and change in Scarlett mix control if necessary, after which it is stable for me.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10441

For mobile recording at live gigs we generally use a digital desk as it's as easy as band plugs into desk, connect harddrive to desk and hit record. We used to us mobile racks containing an interface running Protools or Reaper but then you gotta get a feed from each instrument or hope the band has a desk with direct outs. Otherwise it's a lot of cables and splitters

I would recommend buying a Studiolive desk and firewire laptop, or if you can run to a bit more then A&H's QU series require only a USB harddrive to record 18 channels at 24 \ 48, no computer needed. Been a good earner for me
    www.2020studios.co.uk 

Thanks Andy - good advice and Maplins (of all places!) seem to be the cheapest at £150! You've saved me £150 sir!

Danny1969 said:

For mobile recording at live gigs we generally use a digital desk as it's as easy as band plugs into desk, connect harddrive to desk and hit record. We used to us mobile racks containing an interface running Protools or Reaper but then you gotta get a feed from each instrument or hope the band has a desk with direct outs. Otherwise it's a lot of cables and splitters

I would recommend buying a Studiolive desk and firewire laptop, or if you can run to a bit more then A&H's QU series require only a USB harddrive to record 18 channels at 24 \ 48, no computer needed. Been a good earner for me
    Thanks Danny - the Studiolive 16 at £700 does look appealing and is under investigation!

As always, TFB is the fountain of all knowledge, that I have come to know and love!

Next query, I have a large lump ............!!!!!

• so, would the Behringer FCA1616 compete with the Focusrite 18i20? Cos that would give me the same spec as the Focusrite bundle for about £320!

Would the extra £120 spent on the 18i20 be money well spent?