HSS 1 Vol, NO Tone, wiring - auto split position 2?

What's Hot
DougDoug Frets: 172
edited February 2016 in Making & Modding
Guitar is a Jackson Adrian Smith SDX HSS(No auto split as standard), I'm replacing the original G&B bridge humbucker with a Seymour Duncan TB4/JB could anyone supply a wiring diagram/info to enable auto split on position 2 = Bridge humbucker split with middle single coil pickup. Atm the guitar is fitted with the original single coils and original inline/import type 5 way switch. Help??
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73039
    Google the Ibanez RG series schematic and use the Duncan colour coding for the pickup.

Sorry, can't easily post a pic at the moment.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    edited November 2015
    Thankyou! @ICBM really appreciate the info, also the guitar is running small Alpha pots, not sure of the values, I'm going to upgrade the 5 way switch to best/CRL?, Probably going to go just volume control only/no tone control, so what would you recommend 250 0r 500?. Value your input.
    I would upgrade the parts, yes. CTS pots and CRL switch. The Alphas are OK but full-size ones are still better.

If you want it to be a no-nonsense rock monster :) I'd probably go with 500K, but the problem is it may make the split and middle tones a bit shrill. You can fix that by using an extra resistor (470K) to give a 250K load in those positions, simply connected in parallel with the middle pickup.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DougDoug Frets: 172
    edited February 2016
    ICBM said:
    I would upgrade the parts, yes. CTS pots and CRL switch. The Alphas are OK but full-size ones are still better.

If you want it to be a no-nonsense rock monster :) I'd probably go with 500K, but the problem is it may make the split and middle tones a bit shrill. You can fix that by using an extra resistor (470K) to give a 250K load in those positions, simply connected in parallel with the middle pickup.
    Thanks @ICBM, Got the pot/parts ready, but does not compute :\"> could you please supply a diagram - HSS 1 vol NO Tone, Autosplit in position 2,
    Cheers :-)
    That bit's easy - I got your PM but forgot to reply, sorry! - it's adding the resistors so the single coils see 250K at the same time that isn't. With a standard 5-way switch you can do one or the other but not both.

On the unused side of the switch, you connect the split connection to the bridge pickup terminal and the middle pickup terminal to ground, so they're only joined when the rotor is between the two. (No connection to the rotor itself.)

The best way to get the 250K loading is probably to just connect a 470K resistor from hot to ground on each of the single coil pickups. That will work fine except for the neck/middle position which will then see *both* resistors so it will be a bit softer than normal, but that might help it sound more authentically 'Stratty' since the dual tone controls on the Strat do something similar.

If that makes sense!