Another n00b question... electrics!

What's Hot
Panama_Jack666Panama_Jack666 Frets: 2998
edited November 2015 in Making & Modding
Right!

So I've swapped some loaded scratchplates on a strat body and now I've got no sound coming from the guitar when plugged in.

I'm a complete amateur with a soldering iron but I can get it looking pretty tidy.

So the only things that I needed to solder was the jack socket and the and the earth wire on the back. I haven't gone anywhere near the pots with the soldering iron as I know these can be easily damaged with shit soldering. I also haven't gone near the pickups.

So - why why aren't the electrics working? It's literally silent when plugged in. No buzz, no nowt! What hasn't been done right? What is potentially damaged? Are there any tell tale signs for damaged pots or anything like that?

Help!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JtaylorJtaylor Frets: 182
    I'm no expert, so maybe wait for someone else with some knowledge to chime in, but is it possible you wired the earth wire and the jack socket wire the wrong way round? 
  • No, definitely got the right wires in the right place! Well... unless there is a specific way to do the jack... but the earth wire is definitely in the right place!
  • Have you shorted the ground to signal?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    a photo would help trouble shooting immensely
    Also never assume the people that wired the scratchplate weren't thinking of the pub...

• This might sound daft but you connected two wires to the jack, yes? Hot and ground. And you soldered them to the correct lugs on the jack?

What's this other earth wire you mentioned and where is it soldered to?
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    The best thing is to take a good photo and let ICBM have his opinion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Almost certainly a short somewhere

Do you have a multimeter?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • It would work if the wires were the wrong way round - as others have said, a short is the most likely explanation.
  • I realised I posted this in the wrong section before! Sorry. Double beginner error! Obviously wasn't having a good day!

Issue sorted now! Wired the jack incorrectly didn't I!? What an amateur. Lesson learned!
  • I realised I posted this in the wrong section before! Sorry. Double beginner error! Obviously wasn't having a good day!

Issue sorted now! Wired the jack incorrectly didn't I!? What an amateur. Lesson learned!
    Glad it's sorted!

• Thanks!

And thanks for all your input! I appreciate it!