Is there any scenario where these cr*p tools may be of any use in any way?

Having done DIY all my life, no one needs to convince me of the value of quality tools. They last longer, work better and are a joy to use. I'm new to guitar building and really enjoying it so far, but it will always have a very limited lifespan as I will never have the money to fund much. I can't really justify expensive tools as I think that two guitars will be the max I will ever stretch to, so I'm doing everything as cheaply as possible.

Anyway, whilst buying a few bits on eBay, I noticed these two things: nut files (for plastic nut only), and a nut file kit. As both are pathetically cheap, I'm assuming that they are the equivalent of what a kid may find in a jamboree bag, but is there any feasible way that they may be of any use at all?

Not much point in saying buy proper ones, as they will be too much for me considering that they will get one, maybe two uses.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    The first ones are meant for something else - welder's tool or something? - and if you look under a magnifying glass you see that their edge profiles are intentionally smooth rounded hills rather than sharp mountain peaks. This is because they are for cleaning not cutting. I tried them several years ago and they are extremely frustrating to try to use, even if the nut material is soft.

Don't know the second ones so would only be guessing.

I bought proper nut files. Anything else will almost certainly leave you feeling very frustrated and not knowing why you can't get the nut the way you want it. I know they aint cheap but there is a reason for it.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33867
    edited November 2015
    I've bought cheap tools in the past, they are almost always disappointing and then you have to buy twice.

Lutherie is an expensive thing to set up. 
    To save money try to buy tools from people who are getting out of it- this happens fairly often. 
    I bought a bunch of high end hand planes from members on this forum for about half the retail price. 

I use them every day and I'll have them forever. 
    Guitar building and woodworking forums are worth a look too. 
    And car boots for general woodworking tools. 
    Some of the dedicated lutherie tools you just have to bite the bullet. 

I don't know about the links you posted- they don't look great but they might work.
  • I bought the second set (or something very similar) a while ago. I use them for initial cutting of brass nuts - just to save my proper set from wearing out too quickly on metal. They seem okay for that purpose and I finish the job with the proper files. 

I think the welder's tip cleaners might be okay for widening existing slots and rounding out the bottoms if you don't have the right files to start with. I used to use junior hacksaw blades - which worked well enough at the time although I had to grind off the tangs so that they were narrow enough. Some tip cleaners might have helped to finish the slots back then.
  • The advantage with the second set is that at least you have a rigid straight file to keep the line of cut accurate (a critical factor). Pipe cleaners are almost impossible to not end up with angular drift. Maybe the disadvantage is that the cutting edges maybe too wide or too angled so you end up with a sloppy 'v' rather than a tight 'u', but for that money probably worth a punt. If the file shape IS OK, they will probably last long enough for a typical hobbyists number of nuts to cut.
  • My Dremel 3000 and attachments does for me for all needs luthier.