DIY Tape echo

What's Hot
Just seen that T-Rex are releasing a tape echo pedal called the Replicator soon, which will retail at just shy of 600 quid. The thought inspired me to make a tape echo myself, on the cheap, just as a bit of fun. I'm thinking it should be fairly easy, using a mixer to set up a loop for the tape deck, which has 3 heads: record/play/erase (in that order). Mixing the level of the loop in the mixer works as a feedback control. Now for the question. Has anyone tried something like this? I would ideally like to change the delay time, which could be accomplished by either slowing down the speed of the tape, or moving the record and play heads further apart. I feel slowing the tape down will have an uncontrolled impact on the modulation, adding too much flutter at longer delay times, so not ideal. But having a variable distance setup would have to involve using two separate decks (one for recording and the second for playback), and perhaps place one on a mechanical slider, which is probably going to be introduce its own issues with the tape roll... So unsure which way to go about it. A Eureka would really be helpful!

Or is it totally pointless and going to sound crap and not worth it at all? Thanks for any insights!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    I made one out of two old reel to reel tape units when I was a teenager and had no money.  Looooooong time ago though, so can't remember what I did.

Which is probably for the best, as it sounded shit. :D
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    I seem to remember doing this on an old tape deck with a loop and a piece of thick tape over the erase head or maybe even moved the erase head back. I also seem to remember it wasn't as inspiring as the Copicat I bought later on. Now that was ECHO.
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2429
    Back in the day tinkerers were putting light dimmer switches in their wem copycats, and blowing them up too