Bit off more than you can chew in the studio??

What's Hot
ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
edited November 2015 in Studio & Recording

like the title says...

ever started something in the studio and then thought "holy fkn jeez this is gonna take about 11 metric yonks to sort".. maybe not regretted what you started, but certainly feel like you have your work cut out..

'more than I can chew' by Clarky age 6

I've had BFD3 for quite some time now.. but for a variety of reasons [mostly not enough time due to sessions / trailers etc] I've not been able to really get it cooking... so the simple thing to do is to use BFD2 [which I set up and got sounding great years ago]...

I have decided that enough is enough.. and that should sort out BFD3 once and for all... so... I decided to build a Clarky-Rock kit in BFD3.. the intention is to have a single huge and versatile kit..

kick, snare, 8 toms, hats, ride, crash-ride, 3xcrash, china, splash, cowbell

don't sound that bad so far does it... when you look at the number of articulations there are for each kit piece, the MIDI map it generates both in BFD3 and Logic [the 'lane set'] is absolutely mental...

I have started.... so I will finish... hopefully by Xmas.. not sure which Xmas tho..

play every note as if it were your first
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4190
    Good luck, may i recommend invite amounts of coffee and chocolate hobnobs ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 896
    I've just upgraded to Sonar Platinum, so big learning curve there... along with Addictive Drums which came with it.
    I've also just got the Axe FX, so trying to get up to speed on that too.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31632
    I've just done it with a song. A good friend brought me three newly-written songs a couple of weeks ago to turn into finished tracks. She writes on acoustic guitar but has strong ideas about the overall sounds she wants to hear on the finished song.

The first two just fell naturally into place as 5-piece band arrangements but we decided to go in a sort of late 90s dance direction with the last one and it's taking me forever!

It's a genre I really like, but I'm totally out of my depth creating it from scratch, I'm having to learn how to do everything.
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited November 2015
    I did more or less exactly the same a few years back with my Akai S5000.  I had extensive samples I had recorded and I spent about a week to 10 days, all day programming an acoustic and an electronic kit with various velocity trigger points and articulations.  I was happy when it was done until about a week later someone offered me Kontakt and Abbey Road Drums.  I still used the samples but the S5000 is long gone.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Gadget said:
    I've just upgraded to Sonar Platinum, so big learning curve there... along with Addictive Drums which came with it.
    the Axe is great and is a real journey too..
    if the Axe has a problem it's death by choice..
    it's like a whole warehouse full of amps and cabs that you can try in endless combinations..
    and then you start blending an amp / cab to the left side, and another amp / cab to the right..
    matching them can take a lot of time..
    but it's a shit lot of fun
    p90fool said:
    I've just done it with a song. A good friend brought me three newly-written songs a couple of weeks ago to turn into finished tracks. She writes on acoustic guitar but has strong ideas about the overall sounds she wants to hear on the finished song.

The first two just fell naturally into place as 5-piece band arrangements but we decided to go in a sort of late 90s dance direction with the last one and it's taking me forever!

It's a genre I really like, but I'm totally out of my depth creating it from scratch, I'm having to learn how to do everything.
    this can get very tough if there are synths involved if you're not up to speed with dialling the tone in..
    to be honest, I really need to spend more time messing with synths.. building tones from scratch..
    but that's another massive undertaking in its own right..
    I did more or less exactly the same a few years back with my Akai S5000.  I had extensive samples I had recorded and I spent about a week to 10 days, all day programming an acoustic and an electronic kit with various velocity trigger points and articulations.  I was happy when it was done until about a week later someone offered me Kontakt and Abbey Road Drums.  I still used the samples but the S5000 is long gone.
    I used to do the same with my old S900 [which I still have]
    later I did the same and built a drum kit in my Korg Triton which was a lot better
    right now I'm using BFD2 which is in a whole different league..
    and now… I have the whole BFD3 learning curve and config ahead of me..
    I used to do the same with my old S900 [which I still have]
    later I did the same and built a drum kit in my Korg Triton which was a lot better
    right now I'm using BFD2 which is in a whole different league..
    and now… I have the whole BFD3 learning curve and config ahead of me..
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Gadget said:
    I did this when it was first released. I have mastered neither! Not by a mile. The monthly updates are very good and there is a ton of online resource. Unlike time, of which I have nothing like a ton........
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319

Heh, we did it with a single song in the studio years ago - listening back to the 'final' mix in the last few minutes of our allocated time, I was in the live room buggering about with a digital piano over the quiet-ish middle 8 section.

Didn't realise until I got a lot of excited waving through the window that said piano was actually patched into the desk, audible in the control room and the rest of the band now REALLY wanted piano on the middle 8 - I'm not a keys player by a long chalk and neither was anyone else in the vicinity so had to transpose it into just 'white notes', transpose back up again digitally on the piano, hit 'record' and with an arse clenched to the point of watertight get the track down and mixed in with seconds to spare.

That song comes up on my iTunes shuffle from time to time, always makes me smile :)

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31632
    Clarky said:
    p90fool said:

this can get very tough if there are synths involved if you're not up to speed with dialling the tone in..
    to be honest, I really need to spend more time messing with synths.. building tones from scratch..

That's exactly where I am at the moment. I have a couple of control surfaces assigned to synth duty so it's great fun, but I'm spending more time faffing than producing. Luckily it's not a paid job.
    p90fool said:
    Clarky said:
    p90fool said:

That's exactly where I am at the moment. I have a couple of control surfaces assigned to synth duty so it's great fun, but I'm spending more time faffing than producing. Luckily it's not a paid job.
    thing is… gaffing and noodling is how you figure things out…
    I have a very difficult balance to strike between "I really need to goof with this some more" [especially with the movie trailer stuff] against getting mails from Tolga [the boss of the trailer house] "come on.. is that mix ready yet??"
    and of course squeezing that in between teaching and session jobs…
    and…. lol… trying to find a tiny window of time to work on Clarky choonzez..
    IanSavage said:

Heh, we did it with a single song in the studio years ago - listening back to the 'final' mix in the last few minutes of our allocated time, I was in the live room buggering about with a digital piano over the quiet-ish middle 8 section.

Didn't realise until I got a lot of excited waving through the window that said piano was actually patched into the desk, audible in the control room and the rest of the band now REALLY wanted piano on the middle 8 - I'm not a keys player by a long chalk and neither was anyone else in the vicinity so had to transpose it into just 'white notes', transpose back up again digitally on the piano, hit 'record' and with an arse clenched to the point of watertight get the track down and mixed in with seconds to spare.

That song comes up on my iTunes shuffle from time to time, always makes me smile :)

wow.. that's a scary one… especially when you're actually in a recording studio and have a hard stop time..
    I wouldn't like to have to do that at all..
    tips hat ta yers for having the nuts to go for it...