Cornell Romany - yay or nay?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Skipped said:
    Romany - Wonderful amps but not for an apartment.
    I am not keen on the attenuation and I don't like the Cut control.
    But pushed a little, and using the tone controls,  the Plus model might be my favourite amp ever.

Yep. that's pretty much it. I have a Romany Plus, great amp. I've had the pleasure of the house next door being empty since early spring but someone's recently moved in so I've had to turn down. As a result I might consider selling because despite the 10 watt rating it's a bit loud when you live in a semi detached or terrace. I have the 4 setting version and find the 2 lowest settings a bit fizzy. 10 and 2 watts are fantastic though.

I've also owned the DRRI and didn't care for it much. If it was a choice between the 2 I'd choose the Cornell, it's a different class.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • matonematone Frets: 211
    bigfuzz said:
    @crunchman the problem is that i don't want a boxy poor tone because i'm playing in here. I'm just coming to the conclusion that I can't get the tone I want quietly
    Been through all of the above ideas and came to the same conclusion !
    I found a bigger amp with MV sounded just as good as all of the low wattage/attenuated setups
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1207
    SidNewton said:
    Skipped said:
    Romany - Wonderful amps but not for an apartment.
    I am not keen on the attenuation and I don't like the Cut control.
    But pushed a little, and using the tone controls,  the Plus model might be my favourite amp ever.

I have the 4 setting version and find the 2 lowest settings a bit fizzy. 10 and 2 watts are fantastic though.

When on the last 2/lower settings, the key is to set your volume very low too, like on 1.
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    with many modern apartments, you will hear an unplugged semi-acoustic through the walls; headphones may be your only option then. I've never run an amp in an apartment for that reason. Now in a detached house, I run a Blues jr with master on 10, preamp on 1-2, for a quiet clean sound and use a pedal for overdrive. I don't think there's a point in chasing tone at bedroom levels.

• so i've had another offer today for a mesa boogie experess 5:25 with a 12" v30 installed. the power switching sounds good in theory as i'd need the volume for jamming with others but the 5w for at home could be handy

only question is - how nice do they sound, really? i'm not really looking for a high gain thing?