wrappin' a guitar for postage

HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16090
how would this do.....? never posted a guitar before

some fine bubblewrap at the headstock (tele with hardshell case) some heavy duty (if i can locate it) bubblewrap around the case,then cover with some cardboard and parcel tape.......leaving the handle sticking out so the UPS folk can carry with ease.

hows that sound folks?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73237
    edited November 2013
    Tele? Courier sticker on the case and that's it :). Unless you care about the case surviving as well, then just pack the outside of the case well.

Seriously, you really don't need to worry too much about a Tele - I'd still drop the string tension a bit just to be safe, but the guitar is probably stronger than the case.

Case, bubble wrap on the outside, cardboard. And *do not* leave the handle sticking out - even if you packed it thinly enough that it was possible - that will just encourage them to throw it one-handed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    There was a guitar posting box you could buy onilne a while ago. Was made of the corrugated plastic stuff I think...
  • MaxiMaxi Frets: 13
    Ive often wondered about this ...I did export a bass to the states in a fully fitted aluminium case so that was simple .
    I'd definitely loosen the strings right off and generally just pad it out so no slack W.S.E inside . With out hard shell case I really would not feel at ease at all . 
    Flown the nest .
  • I bought a Les Paul from ebay and I was hoping to re-use the box to package my Epi Dot when I sold it a couple of weeks later. The Les Paul arrived (in a case) in nothing more than a black bin liner!

Luckily I hoard packaging stuff for such events and I had a Thomann box... it was too big so I cut it in two and stuck the two halves together with loads of packing tape. Plenty of bubblewrap and airpillow stuff was used - both inside and out the case, to stop any movement.
  • Pop down to Halfords and ask for a an old Cardboard Bike box ,perfect fit and Free! .