Fractal FAS-FX Reverb

What's Hot
guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
edited November 2015 in Studio & Recording
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/announcing-fas-fx-reverb.106924/

The reverbs in the Axe FX 2 are great, but I'm already really happy with the Valhalla DSP reverbs I have.

Based on this I wonder if Fractal will be bringing out the rest of their delay/modulation effects models as DSP plugins as well.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Would rather see the preamp models but suspect that would cut into their core audience too much.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

hmmm... interesting..

thing is.. I already have Space Designer and a few other nice reverbs..

and, as I have an Axe-FX, I don't really need it as a plug-in.. I can use it as an outboard reverb from Logic [which I'd not actually tried yet... but maybe I should..

play every note as if it were your first
  • PolarityMan;870887" said:
    Would rather see the preamp models but suspect that would cut into their core audience too much.
    I'm not expecting the amp models to be released but you never know. Looking at the price of this, they could do it as by the time you've bought a bunch of modules it won't be significantly cheaper than the hardware. I'd expect delay to be standalone, each modulation type to be standalone, and if they did amps I'd expect it to be more than $200.

now you mention delays you've given me an idea...

I adore the new BBD Delay in the Axe.. it's just like my old analogue one... it sounds exactly the right sort of crap which is why it's awesome.. now I'm thinking that I should be reamping the BBD delay [wet signal only] from the Axe...

I so need to try this

• When you look at the reverb plugin world, it's hard to think who would buy this. People with an Axe FX are not likely to shell out again for a $200 reverb. 

No demo to download, no audio clips... I think most of the clientele at KVR would laugh at the statement on the Fractal webpage saying "No returns for software purchases" (as quite a number of plugin dealers do offer returns). 

And it appears some are laughing... 

• To me the product makes sense - the launch doesn't. Why launch at $200 with no demo right next to Black Friday? Just an odd decision.

the Lexicon is normally $239, Sonnox is £141.. so if FAS are trying to compete with these fallas it looks like they're in a similar price bracket 

• Yes it isn't so much the price is extortionate (I've spent that much over time on Valhalla plugins), more the timing. Most people are aware of Black Friday and are using their cash for bargains this week.
  • To be fair I don't think FAS have launched their Black Friday deals yet (if they're doing them).
  • Clarky said:the Lexicon is normally $239, Sonnox is £141.. so if FAS are trying to compete with these fallas it looks like they're in a similar price bracket 
    Both of those are fairly long in the tooth now and don't represent what's going on with plugins now. 

You've got the like of Valhalla, Exponential, 2C Audio, Acon's Reverberate, UVI's Sparkverb, Softube are doing TSAR-1 for something like 30 bucks at the minute... 

To me the product makes sense - the launch doesn't. Why launch at $200 with no demo right next to Black Friday? Just an odd decision.
    Very much so. It smacks of a developer who really doesn't get the plugin world. Over at KVR you get small developers releasing great products and interacting with the people who will eventually buy their plugins. Fractal obviously do that at their own forum which is dominated by Axe FX owners. Have they actually looked at plugin and recording forums to see what goes down there and what customers expect? 

$200 for a plugin that you can't try out and there's no audio demos at yet is ridiculous.  
    To be fair I don't think FAS have launched their Black Friday deals yet (if they're doing them).
    That 10% promo code appears to be their Black Friday special offer for this product. 

Me, I'm waiting for Exponential to get their web shop up again. If it's 50% off for their Black Friday deal then it's time to get the credit card out :D

• By the look of the FB page, there's not that much going on for Black Friday for Fractal. 

And there's zero mention of the plugin on that same FB page for November. Weird. 

• There might be a demo.  ML Soundlabs replied "soon" to a post requesting a demo.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Fractal don't do NAMM, or any trade shows at all really. I don't think they've done Black Friday before either - they don't really need to tbh. Point being, they're not really plugged into the 'usual' way of promoting and selling products.

People *always* want plugins to be cheaper. I've seen it for the last 8 years of my life - no one is ever happy unless a development company is only making a few pounds off of their creations.
  • Well wanting to pay less for stuff is fairly universal.

I don't think the price is OTT at all.  As I said I've spent $200 on Valhalla stuff over the years and to me totally worth it.  In fact if I didn't own them I would be more interested in this plugin because I think the reverbs in the Axe sound 'plugin quality' if that makes sense...  I think one key difference with the plugin vs using the Axe FX to reamp reverbs is that the signal is summed to mono before going stereo in the Axe, whereas with the plugin stereo panning is preserved (something that would be important for things like drum overheads etc).  That is my understanding of it.

There is a difference with digital distribution in that it is near instant, compared to physical where things like wait lists occur (which can increase hype).  It does seem a low key launch - but with a demo probably on the way it doesn't seem like there's anything controversial at all really.

I just thought it seemed an odd business decision launching a plugin with low PR, no demo, on a week where many people have already got a list of things they're waiting to go on sale so they can buy.  November sales might be affected by that, but beyond that business as usual.

• Drew_fx said:
    Fractal don't do NAMM, or any trade shows at all really. I don't think they've done Black Friday before either - they don't really need to tbh. Point being, they're not really plugged into the 'usual' way of promoting and selling products.

People *always* want plugins to be cheaper. I've seen it for the last 8 years of my life - no one is ever happy unless a development company is only making a few pounds off of their creations.
    No they aren't. They're very much their own entity. And people want everything cheaper, everything from plugins to train tickets to buttplugs. Expect TheoM who wants everything refunded NOW NOW NOW. 

It just seems nuts for Fractal to launch this product with no demo, no audio demos, no fanfare really beyond their own forum, not even a sodding new product listing on the website, and to release it at a time when several decent companies are selling stuff at a heavy discount. 

I don't think the price is OTT at all.  As I said I've spent $200 on Valhalla stuff over the years and to me totally worth it.  In fact if I didn't own them I would be more interested in this plugin because I think the reverbs in the Axe sound 'plugin quality' if that makes sense...  I think one key difference with the plugin vs using the Axe FX to reamp reverbs is that the signal is summed to mono before going stereo in the Axe, whereas with the plugin stereo panning is preserved (something that would be important for things like drum overheads etc).  That is my understanding of it.

Yes, that's something that has totally turned me off buying an Axe FX, the fact that it sums to mono. All that cash and it's no better in the stereo in department than a ruddy Line 6 M9. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Right but almost all guitars are mono, so no big deal IMO. Does any guitar FX unit do stereo input?
  • It's a big deal if you have stereo pedals that you want to run into the unit. 

• Fair point.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    edited November 2015
    I'm not 100% sure what you mean by summing to mono? The Axe has two inputs and two outputs so depending on your patch, you can make it true stereo the whole way through.
  • http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/announcing-fas-fx-reverb.106924/page-5

@joegold the inputs are summed to mono and the output is stereo. Any panning of the L / R stream before the reverb block is not preserved in the wet signal.

True stereo preserves the dry and wet panning.

-I might be misunderstanding things there through my own stupidity :D