RCA Cable

Afternoon,

Im thinking about using an RCA cable from my guitar directly into the microphone jack of my laptop to do some VERY basic recording. Is there a particular one you would recommend?

...or would you recommend I don't? Very new to this as you can tell.

Cheers

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638

Try it, can't hurt anything. There are some drawbacks..

!) The 10k load will cause a loss of signal and probably a loss of treble.

2)Even tho the input robs some signal, W7 usually has masses more gain than you need and thus you will have to go into the Sounds menus and take the gain from the default 100% to maybe as low as 5 or even lower.

3)Best to go thru a pedal to get a high Z load on the pups.

4) Best of ALL to buy an interface! The Alesis i02 is only £65 or so and is very good indeed.

5) An interface makes monitoring and getting a decent playback quality possible.

Err? Jusfort! You don't need an RCA lead. you need 1/4" jack to !/8" jack and then the guitar will only be on one channel.

You will need some recording software. Reaper is free for a while. Samplitude Pro XSilver is free for ever (but not nearly as powerful).

Dave.

• NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

Cheers Dave, as I said, im very new to this so your post is helpful, thank you.

After I posted my question, I did go and have a quick look at interfaces, with the assumption that they would be silly money (for someone like me that is only really experimenting, anyway), but I did come across the Focusrite Scarlett Solo for £69...any good?

I didn't see the Alesis, so will go and check that out also.

Thanks again.

• FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Nikko said:

but I did come across the Focusrite Scarlett Solo for £69...any good?

I'm using one right now - does exactly what you need for a basic interface.  No frills, decent sound!
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    Fuzzdog said:
    Nikko said:

but I did come across the Focusrite Scarlett Solo for £69...any good?

I'm using one right now - does exactly what you need for a basic interface.  No frills, decent sound!
    Basic..no frills...decent sound...sounds like what im after
    :D
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638
    edited November 2015

I personally think the Focusrite AIs are expensive for what you get.

The Alesis has two mic inputs, two guitar inputs MIDI in and out and digital in and out. I had one for a while and it seemed just as good as an F'rite 8i6 or my 2496 sound cards.

Dave.

Just weighing up both Dave... I'll make a decision on it pretty quickly I should think :D

Thanks again, appreciate it.