Which Studio Headphone Type?

What's Hot
BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5863
edited November 2015 in Studio & Recording
I can only afford one decent pair, can't invest in Monitors yet, can't justify the spend.

So the basics, I'm not looking to recording an album or challenge Avicii at his own game, I'm just looking to do some half decent recordings on the Guitar and have fun experimenting with the stuff in Native Audio Komplete 6.

I read that you should have closed back for recording and open back for mixing, so do I go with the compromise of semi open back, but, then there's the guy from Kosmic on youtube saying if you can only afford 1 pair, get closed back.

Also, do I have to wade through Headphone Specs to see if they are compatible with the interface.

The Interface is reduced in price so it's time to take advantage of Black Friday and get the Headphones as well.

Thanks.
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319

The difference in priority between closed / open back for tracking / mixing is mainly because of spill - particularly if you're doing vocal work, you want closed-back for recording to avoid your backing track from your cans getting into your microphone.

The problem with closed-back is that by their design they give an unrepresentative picture of the low end of a mix, hence why a lot of people prefer to mix on open-back; my view is if you're aware of the low-end emphasis given by closed-back and can compensate for it by listening to your mixes on a few different systems from time to time, closed-back are a good choice (personally my only 'proper' cans are closed-back Sennheiser E2270s).

Saying that, if you're mostly doing home recording with few vocals and using amp simulation, spill won't be an issue so perhaps open-back would be better (unless you're planning on mixing somewhere with an unusual level of background noise)...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @IanSavage

For the moment, I can't see me doing any Vocal recording at all, so sounds like the open back might be a good idea.

I suppose I can always listen back in comparison through my regular hifi speakers(not the same as a studio monitor, I know), but seeing as that's what most people listen to music through, it might be a little bit useful. In that case I might be able to learn how to compensate and the closed back would also be a goer.

I assume that the Bass always sounds more prominent whilst listening through Closed Back Headphones?

I would say there isn't an unusual amount of background noise where I am either.
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    I'm gonna expand on Ian's point make a suggestion here must be qualified by the statement that I'm no expert and have never mixed anything ever.

But it seems to me that obsessing over the neutrality of your cans is missing the point. *Every* pair of headphones, monitors, etc - "reference" or otherwise - are unrepresentitive of how most people will hear your mix, because most people will be listening on something else. So the key is to get your brain thoroughly adapted to how *your* (half decent) headphones sound - by listening to them lots and listening to all your music on them. Therefore if your mix sounds like the mix of all your favourite music through those cans, you can be sure you're not far off the mark. Once you're happy with it, listen to it through all the hi-fis, earbuds and headphones you can lay your hands on and see if it sounds okay - *they* are your reference.

Like I say, this is the thought of aa total amateur, so if I'm wrong please do correct me!

If it's any help, I've got a pair of Beyerdynamic DT150 closed-back headphones. They sound good and are closed in case they get used for tracking and they don't break when I sit on them, which should be recommendation enough in itself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Good point @EdGrip

You're right, I do get a bit obsessive with detail, it's just my way of learning. You made a similar point to me in my reply to Ian, in that I could compare results by listening on my regular Hifi speakers, and you're right there is always existing music for comparison too.

I ended up ordering a pair of closed back AKG K 271's at £75, and the Native Audio Komplete 6 for £139, so I'm happy I saved a few quid.

I'm a complete novice too, so I can't correct you on owt, hopefully, it'll all end up being a lot easier than I thought.

:)>-
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    :D I didn't mean "your headphones" to mean you specifically - just people in general. :)
  • EdGrip said:
    :D I didn't mean "your headphones" to mean you specifically - just people in general. :)

Lol, I know. You'll have to excuse me, I have had a few "Light Ales" :-)

Good advice all the same.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom