Whats happened?

What's Hot
To my trusty Tanglewood? I play it every day and, although it hasn't benefitted from a profesh set up, I had it playing pretty nicely. Its normally on a guitar stand in the bedroom but it's been in its hard case for the last 4 days as my brother and his young kids have been to stay with me......keep the bairns away from it ...Now its playing with a buzzing on first ( thinnest) string on the second fret!! Do I just leave it out of its case for a few days and see how it pans out.....or does the truss rod get tweaked a tad looser?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Central heating/humidity change has caused a fret to lift, I'd guess?
  • Central heating/humidity change has caused a fret to lift, I'd guess?
    A fret to lift! That sounds bad.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I'd leave it for a few days. Maybe clean the strings and fretboard. Certainly wouldn't rush into anything drastic. Check the top e isn't kinked.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    edited November 2015
    It may just be that the neck has moved back slightly. Although it's like that the third fret is slightly too high, it may have been anyway but you just didn't notice if the neck had a bit more relief.

I would definitely leave it on the stand for a few days to a week before even adjusting the truss rod, if you can live with it at all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Budget chinese acoustics can do this. My buddy has a tanglewood that I fret dressed perfectly a while back. A bump or two around the house from the kids and it buzzes like hell in the 10th position on the low strings now.
  • Wish I'd known this when I bought it. I wondered why the salesman in the shop where I got it was laughing when he sold me it for 'only' £20. I've bought a load of firewood! It sounded great when I played it in the shop too. :-h
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 775
    edited December 2015
    Finger the 1st and 15th fret simultaneously.

Look at the string.

Is the neck straight, bowed, hump?

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • GuyBoden;881955" said:
    Finger the 1st and 15th fret simultaneously
    NB: Both hands are usually needed to do this.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    GuyBoden;881955" said:
    Finger the 1st and 15th fret simultaneously
    NB: Both hands are usually needed to do this.

Not if you're playing an MD Phillips guitar.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom