Vox AC30 Cream Edition mod....

What's Hot
......is it possible/easy to mod the normal channel to be another top boost channel so id have two top boost channels?

Seen one of these on eBay which you can add to the older single channel versions (i assume)?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/262128976698

I rarely use the normal channel but would definitely use two top boost channels.

Im guessing id need to check the spec of resistors etc on the existing top boost channel to make sure it reacts the same way? Although a slight variation might not be a bad thing?

Any thoughts?
@icbm, @4114effects or anyone else thats into amp mods?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73015
    In theory you could re-route the amp so the Normal and TB channels mix before the tone stack which would give you two TB channels (although with one set of tone controls), and change the coupling cap value and add the bright cap on the Normal channel to match the TB, but I would need to see inside the amp with this in mind to see how feasible it is. I don't have a schematic or a layout and it's not something I've ever thought about when working on one. It will also probably change the sound of the TB channel at least slightly too.

But to be honest, if you want to use two TB channels so you can have one louder than the other, just get a booster pedal. That's really the only difference it will make since the first gain stage on each channel doesn't overdrive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• simonbeckwithsimonbeckwith Frets: 215
    edited November 2015
    @icbm So, run a boost on the normal channel and then run one channel louder than the other? Didn't think of that! So simple! Haha! Thanks dude
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3093
    Idiot!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Oi @paulnb57 !!!! Only because the normal channel is quite a bit darker than the top boost, if i can dial them in to sound the same or very similar I'll probably be on to a winner. If not, who knows!
    edited November 2015
    Calm down dear! FFS! Get a Marshal and stop fucking about!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeh......the thought has crossed my mind on several occasions
    I was joking, but hey-ho!

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8497
    As far as circuit mods go, the normal channel is quite easy to make brighter - IIRC the original non top boost "Bright" channel is basically the same basic circuit as the normal channel, but with a smaller coupling cap, a bigger bright cap and a smaller cathode bypass cap on V1 so it has less gain at low frequencies. It won't have the same compression and midrange notch as the top boost channel but it'd be brighter.
    I meant simply use a boost pedal into the TB Brilliant channel, since the only effect of modding the amp to give two TB channels is to give two different volume settings with the same sound.

In fact, modding the Normal channel to a *non* TB Brilliant channel makes more sense, since they will still be different. The difference between the non-TB Brilliant and the Normal is very simple, it's just the coupling cap size and the bright cap. They share the cathode network. That should be a very simple mod.

The difference is that a non-TB Brilliant channel is *quieter* and slightly thinner-sounding than the Normal channel, whereas a TB one is louder and thicker, so the non-TB is a better rhythm sound and the TB a better lead.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• @icbm the top boost channel I've been running with the gain flat out, so adding a boost would only add more gain, not give me an increase in volume. I would just like the same sound, but louder if possible. TK I'm just gonna have to accept I'll need to run pedals in to the amp running clean.
    Yes, that's right. If the TB channel gain is maxed out then you can't get more volume because the master volume applies to both channels. No matter what you do to the Normal channel it will be no louder. What you need is an attenuator with a bypass switch. Set the amp for your boost level with the attenuator bypassed.

• Who makes one of those that isn't ridiculous money?
    Weber. The Mini Mass 50W is available with a footswitch option.

• Cheers dude :)
    edited December 2015
    And this sits inbetween the amp and the speaker? Think my speakers may be hard wired in so I'd have to disconnect and attach a jack to one end and make a new lead to attach to the speaker also with a jack to allow the mini mass to sit inbetween the two?
    And this sits inbetween the amp and the speaker? Think my speakers may be hard wired in so I'd have to disconnect and attach a jack to one end and make a new lead to attach to the speaker also with a jack to allow the mini mass to sit inbetween the two?
    Yes, between the amp and the speaker.

I would need to check for certain, but depending on what order the External and Extension speaker sockets are connected in, you may be able to do it very simply. The *External* socket disconnects the internal speakers, and the *Extension* socket is in parallel with them - so you can use the External as the amp output and the Extension as the speaker *input* as long as they're that way round and the Extension socket is directly connected to the speakers and not the amp... if that makes sense!

Unfortunately I don't have a schematic or an amp to check it on, but you could try it - just plug a cable between the two and see if the amp works - at low volume only, in case it doesn't! If it does, you know the jacks are in the right order and you can simply connect the attenuator in there - making sure they're the right way round, with External to the attenuator amp input.

• Excellent, many thanks!
    edited January 2016
    edited January 2016
    I hope that wasn't you thinking better of a post to say you tried it and the amp blew up :-O :).

edited January 2016
    @simonbeckwith - one of the finest, most concise and well reasoned responses you have to ever made on the Fretboard, both informative AND entertaining! Well done yoof!