Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best tele for around £300?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3961
    I built my dream Tele for 350 quid, so it can be done, even with a decent spec. However I've owned a CV and loved it. If I owned another I'd have to strip that plastic'y finish off and nitro it but the CV would be my recommendation for an off the shelf job.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BarriveeBarrivee Frets: 100
    G&L ASAT Tribute - several on the bay under £300 at the mo. Great guitars
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • if you're near a fender dealer, try as many models as you can, then check ebay and gumtree for used prices. i remember wanting a tele and trying a number of them to get my faves. in the end, the only one with a neck profile that i liked was the usa standard. suffice to say, i can't see me getting one now as i get more gigs as a bassist.

if it's just looks you are after, there is a reverend with a tele shape that is one of the most playable guitars i put my hands on. but it's not a tele
  • Thanks chaps...all points noted.
  • ESBlonde said:
    If you look real hard those Korean made Fender lite ashe teles of a few years back represent excellent vfm. Might stretch the budget a little but unlikely to lose on a resale.

OVERVIEW

The Fender Lite Ash Telecaster Electric Guitar couples the tonality of ash with a pair of Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro pickups for the firepower demanded by modern music. The birdseye maple neck has 22 medium-jumbo frets and abalone dots. Its nicely equipped with chrome hardware and a chrome bridge with brass barrel saddles. 3-way switching and tone/volume controls round out this tidy Tele package.

Weighs less than 8 pounds for lots of resonance.

FEATURES
    • Light ash body
    • Bird's-eye maple neck
    • 22 medium-jumbo frets
    • 25-1/2" scale length
    • Chrome hardware
    • Chrome bridge with brass barrel saddles
    • Dot abalone inlays
    • Pickups: Seymour Duncan: APTR-1 Alnico II Pro (neck), APTL-1 Alnico II Pro (bridge)
    • 3-way pickup switching

Edit.

Oh look!
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Lite-Ash-Telecaster-/262163816117?hash=item3d0a2e5eb5
    I have a Lite Ash Tele which I bought from @lixarto Superb guitar for the money
  • Joe123Joe123 Frets: 8
    edited May 2020
    Why not a used Schecter PT special?it has a neck P90, though and with serial-parallel combination and contoured body( just like a Kotzen's tele)
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 841
    Holy thread resurrection, Batman!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3354
    Yikes...I don’t even remember who I was asking for!
  • rossirossi Frets: 1713
    edited May 2020
    Ibanez Talman as a left field suggestion  if any one is still around with a similar problem .I played  one and it  was  pretty  good .I would have gigged it no problem .
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 841
    Yikes...I don’t even remember who I was asking for!
    Come on, it was only 5 years ago!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    My mate picked up a revelation tele for £150 a think, it's decent, plays nice and sounds like a tele!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14727
    Given the time elapsed since the original opening post and general worthlessness of Sterling beyond these shores, the target price figure could do with revising upwards.

Does £450 seem about right?

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Anyone know if the Mexican teles are any good?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14727
    As a rule, the Fender MIM Standard Telecaster is good workhorse instrument that would benefit from a few modifications. IMO, they are better built and more playable than many American examples from the Seventies. (CNC machines care nothing for national boundaries.)

Generally speaking, Fender selects the lightest and prettiest wood for their expensive lines. The MIM production tends to get what is left - heavier and plainer, hence, the preponderance of opaque finishes. The body shaping and cavity routing is sufficiently good that the Mexicans bodies have to have a "crop circle" hole made under the scratchplate to expose attempted fakery.

For me, the pick of the MIM bunch is the Baja Telecaster. The neck profile is superb. Bodies vary in weight and resonance. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Joe123Joe123 Frets: 8
    Hehe..I wasn't aware this thread started a few years ago..sorry for resurrecting an old thread haha.
    @digitalkettle : so, what did you end up with?thanks
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3354
    Joe123 said:
    Hehe..I wasn't aware this thread started a few years ago..sorry for resurrecting an old thread haha.
    @digitalkettle : so, what did you end up with?thanks
    I wasn't asking for myself...I have no idea why I even posted! ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chotu495chotu495 Frets: 356
    Anyone know if the Mexican teles are any good?
    I bought one last year. Nice enough for my enthusiastic beginner skills. 

I put locking tuners and a Wilkinson bridge on it last week, and the whole guitar has now come alive. The new bridge in particular completely improved the sound and feel. Big step forward  :)

Tusq nut is next  ;)
  • I have a 2015 mim Tele in lpb and I love it.
    I’ve put a 5way switch in, orange drop caps, I’m happy with the bridge pickup - not so with the neck so I’ll swap that out at some point.
    Great guitar for the money.