Anybody used Martin Retro Monel strings?

What's Hot
I decided I wanted a change from my trusty D'Addario EXPs and bought a couple of packs of Martin Retro strings. The alloy of the wrap is mainly nickel as opposed to mainly copper for the usual phospor bronze strings. Apparently they used this alloy until the late 60s and brought it back a few years ago.

I've restrung my Loar (Gibson L00 style) with them and it sounds a little less boxy, more like a smaller, quieter version of my dreadnought and more conducive to strumming than usual. These are the first uncoated strings I've used on an acoustic for years, so I'll see how the break in over the next couple of weeks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4375
    Yep, from time to time I use the .013 -.056's also known as the Tony Rice set on my dreadnought. They sound quite zingy and bright at first, mellow quickly and then last for absolutely ages. Despite having slightly lower gauge middle strings, the overall tension is higher than typical Mediums. I don't know if it's the same with the lighter sets.... I did try a set of the lights (.012s) on my J45TV but didn't keep them on long .... nothing to do with the sound, just can't deal with light strings.

They're warm sounding with a strong fundamental which make them a flatpicker's dream (hence the Tony Rice connection) but they might sound dull to ears more used to phosphor bronze or 80/20, and they have less cut in a pure acoustic ensemble setting.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have the Light set (12-54) on the Loar, I prefer Lights on that because I try and do more fingerpicking on it. The gauges are +/- 0.01" different to my usual ones on some strings but I can't say I've noticed a difference in tension. I like the sound though, there's less of the overpowering "zingy new string" sound.
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Frets: 201
    edited December 2015
    Over the years I've tried most strings.I know it's down personal taste ear etc.These are the only strings I use now.They don't sound great when their first put on ,but give them a week and they sound great.They also last for ages nearly as long as Elxirs and a lot cheaper.
  • Just noticed this thread, I only use these now. They work much better for my body chemistry than bronze. I can kill bronze strings during a 45 minute set such that the strings feel awful for the last few songs, but I can get a good few gigs out of a set of these.

The only real problem with them is that I can never find superdeal bargain prices on them!

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4375
    Just another thing to add.....this may be common knowledge but I only recently noticed that they'd added a new set to the Retro range...a Laurence Juber custom light/medium set which has medium gauges for strings 1,2 and 6 and light for everything else (D'Addario refers to this type of guage as True Medium and John Pearse as New Medium I think...).

I put a set on my dreadnought as I've been finding the Tony Rice set a bit stiff for some up-the-neck bits I'm working on and they work really well. Worth a try.