Cheap Yamaha THR10 amp

What's Hot
FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
Someone was after one of these .. Coda has a secondhand one for £179.

http://www.coda-music.com/yamaha-thr10-secondhand-p-17438.html

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13577
    edited November 2013
    I do believe that was mentioned in the other thread..............  

:)    ( I made a comment about checking the PSU)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    bertie said:
    I do believe that was mentioned in the other thread..............  

:)    ( I made a comment about checking the PSU)
    Fair enough - Yamaha will swap out the power supply free of charge if its the old noisy one.

• bertiebertie Frets: 13577
    still ?    pretty sure you need original  documentation/receipt/warranty card  etc
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    bertie said:
    still ?    pretty sure you need original  documentation/receipt/warranty card  etc
    Nope. Yamaha are a top company when it comes to customer service. The power supply is unique to the THR unit.

• That's a good price. They sell on ebay for a similar price in good condition. Mint nick with some dealer warranty for £179 is excellent.

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 687
    gone
  • JoesaJoesa Frets: 86
    They weren't too forthcoming on a warranty repair on mine!
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    I'd been wondering when the THRs came out whether they were any good. The fact it's still hard to find them second hand might have answered that question.
    Joesa said:
    They weren't too forthcoming on a warranty repair on mine!
    I was referring to a power supply change - there's a  Yamaha rep on an Anderton's video saying they'll swap out the noisy early ones. I don't think too many were sold. Did you have another issue?

Mine started to sound really gritty on any of the modelling amp settings but sounds fine when switched to Bass, Aco or Flat. Mp3's still sound fine through it, as does the computer when I have it connected and the Editing suite works fine. The sound quality just started to get worse and worse on the modelling side to the point where now I'm playing through my ME-50 into the Flat setting and basically using it as a small single channel amp which obviously isn't how it was designed! Yamaha have told me to send it back to the online retailer but they're not interested as it's over a year old and although it comes under the Yamaha 2 year warranty, Yamaha won't deal with me direct.  I bought the amp from MusiciansFriend online as there was no outlet near enough for me to try one before buying. I knew it was a US company but I didn't think it would be a problem and they had a good deal on. I actually emailed Yamaha UK beforehand and told them I was planning on buying one from this particular official online retailer and wanted to know whether it would be OK ( because of the different UK/US voltages ) and they said it was dual voltage so it would be fine. They gave no indication this would affect the 2 year global warranty but there it is. I'm more disappointed in Yamaha as a company because it is a fantastic amp and actually was responsible in making me play more as it just makes you want to pick the guitar up and play. I really thought they would actively want to know why a newly designed product of theirs had developed a major fault in only a year of normal use but I'm just resigned to the fact that I've bought a very expensive speaker dock for my MP3 player. I would still recommend it over any other home amp though regardless of my situation. I've never been more impressed by any other bit of guitar kit. I just wish it had worked a bit longer! 
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 687
    You're in the UK but bought online from a USA dealer something that's available all over the place online in the UK?

Musiciansfriend had it on for £190 which was a good £70 less than anywhere else online so even with shipping etc.it was cheaper. If I'd realised about the warranty I wouldn't have bothered just to save a few quid but I just never considered it would be an issue. I think the words c'est la vie come to mind and to be honest I'm not losing sleep over it. Just a little disappointed in Yamaha.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom