views on atkins accoustic

musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1748
edited December 2015 in Acoustics
I'm very interested in a atkins accoustic. Have any of you guys on here got one or ever played them? They seem decently priced compered go other small British guitar makers.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11519
    I played some at a couple of shows a few years ago.  They are very good.  I ran into him at the Olympia show a couple of months back, but he wasn't exhibiting.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5324
    he has said in the past he is very inspired by Bill Collings...i used to know a great flatpicker who thought they were the bees knees for the money he charges
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    If they sound as good as they look then you can't go wrong.
    Some of them are beauties.
  • I'm going to have one made to my own spe
  • They generally have small nuts!
  • Thanks for that great but of info
  • It's true :) 1 11/16 IMO should be saved for electrics and Atkins all seem to come with something under that unless custom ordered.

Phil Minter from Tener Duende uses one if you wanted some better sound clips than Atkin offer - Or at least the last time I checked.

I've got a brand new Colllings OM2H going for £2700 if you could be tempted away? :)
  • It's true :) 1 11/16 IMO should be saved for electrics and Atkins all seem to come with something under that unless custom ordered.

Phil Minter from Tener Duende uses one if you wanted some better sound clips than Atkin offer - Or at least the last time I checked.

I've got a brand new Colllings OM2H going for £2700 if you could be tempted away? :)

Sorry but i have no interest in the collings. I already have loads of good guitars. the idea now is I want a custom order guitar.
  • No worries. AJ Williams is taking orders at the moment and Richard Osborne might be as well. Richard does a guitar making course too if you had a month to build your own :) You sound pretty set on the Atkin, but thought I'd throw a couple of names at you anwyay
  • woodywoody Frets: 74
    I owned one a few years back.very disappointed with it..sold it and bought a santa cruz d which was in a different league tonewise to my ears anyway.found the atkin closed in and bland..you could feel the santa cruz resonating as you played it,the atkin was lifeless..they are the only examples ive played of either so may have landed a bad example.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2432
    woody;896746" said:
    I owned one a few years back.very disappointed with it..sold it and bought a santa cruz d which was in a different league tonewise to my ears anyway.found the atkin closed in and bland..you could feel the santa cruz resonating as you played it,the atkin was lifeless..they are the only examples ive played of either so may have landed a bad example.
    I had exactly the opposite experience: I owned a Santa Cruz OM for a few years and it was good but not good enough to want to keep, so it was sold. Then I bought an Atkin Retrospective Series OM-28H. A great guitar which I personally much preferred to the SC. After nearly four years of constant use it just sounds better and better and plays really nicely. It's my go-to gigging acoustic and a definite keeper. AND Alistair is a great guy.